New to photography...any tips?

dylanvisual

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey i'm new to photography...

I have a Kodak EasyShare CX7330 digital camera and i'm just figuring out all the software and everything that came with it.

Do you have any tips for a newbie?

Thanks,

dylanvisual said:
Hey i'm new to photography...Do you have any tips for a newbie?

You have no idea of the size of the can of worms you're trying to open ....

Here's a few quick tips:
1) Read your camera's owner's manual - front to back, every word, every page .....
2) Read everything on the web you can find about photography - particularly exposure ....
3) Go to the library and check out and read every book they have on photography ....
4) Go out and take photos of everything .... and compare your shots to what you've understood from all of your reading ....

When you have specific questions, come back ...... :lol:

maybe you can try this:

take a lot of shots of the same thing, with different settings - ISO, aperature, shutter speed...

so that you know what the different things mean.

Hi Dylan, welcome to ThePhotoForum.
A word of warning: it is highly unwise to openly display your e-mail address on ANY internet forum, even this one! We are permanently being crawled over by internet spiders and with your address so much on display you might get ALL sorts of e-mail in the future, not only of the kind you really want.

Seeing that you aare no longer online, I went to edit it out of your posts and will now also edit it out of your sig. All just to protect you.

Yes, I see you actually are old enough to protect yourself, but ... I hope you understand.

tips... assuming you dont want to turn pro next week..... also assuming you dont want to publish a coffee table book by the end of the year here is my advice.

Read your camera manual (already suggested) go out and enjoy your camera for a while and just have fun.....work your software and be patient.

Don't be in such a hurry to learn everything. Folks here that have a lot more experience than I will tell you that you can't learn it overnight. This book has helped me so much. It's not cheap but IMHO it's worth it if your really serious. The author covers a lot of material however it's an easy read. It's broken down into logical sections so you don't have to read it from cover to cover. Also I can't tell you how much the manual has helped me. I still look at it when I'm stumped. Good luck

Ooooh I get to post a new idea!!!

If you're shooting digital you should check some type of post-processing software. Photoshop is of course the standard but The Gimp is out there (and free) and I'm sure other people can recommend others.

Once you have that software get familiar with Levels, Curves, Dodging/Burning and Cropping. From my experience those tools are 90% of what I use on photos.

Haha I'm curious to know how useful this all is. I get the feeling this would be similar me walking into a classroom and saying "Teach me nuclear physics!!!". :)

It'll just take time... keep in mind if it was easy... it wouldn't be art.

Innocence said:
maybe you can try this:

take a lot of shots of the same thing, with different settings - ISO, aperature, shutter speed...

so that you know what the different things mean.

the problem is i don't know how to set ISO, aperture, shuuter speed and so on.

like dylan i'm new to photgraphy. actually not. i own a digicam for over 2 years already but i only take shots during holidays or events, which is not often. i had read the manual and i had done the basic settings but i can't understand the advanced settings (eg ISO, aperture), so what is the solution? there ought to be a dummy book for dummy photographers who knows nothing at all, right?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0761536043/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-0866874-2399211#reader-link"]This[/ame] is one of the first books to show when I googled "Photography Guides for Absolute Beginners" ... anyone could google up beginner's help books, I think. There are plenty of them out there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back