New to photography, experimenting with slow shutter speeds.

Haha, yeah, a digital SLR would definitely be more efficient cost-wise. But like you said, Compur, I wouldn't learn a thing that way. Out of curiosity, do any of you know of a good Nikon DSLR that is affordable, but has the same manual features as a regular SLR?

I recommend a light meter.

A decent light meter is a fantastic tool for any film shooter, especially one who has an interest in doing things like you're describing. Used meters can be found on eBay, craigslist, KEH, and the rest of the usual places for used gear.

They'll not only get you closer to expected results faster, they'll help you understand what it is you're looking at in terms of light vs ISO, shutter speed and aperture as you're working with it.

I spent years shooting and logging info into notebooks, then comparing results when the film came back - a very expensive and long (and mostly disappointing) learning process. My first light meter taught me more in my first afternoon with it than a couple years of shooting, logging and comparing did.

Hmm, a light meter might be just what I need. I really can't afford to just play around/experiment until I get it right, because there's no such thing as "test shots" in the world of film. My Dad says that the camera already does a pretty good job of letting you know about those things with its built-in meter, but I don't really know.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back