New to photography/first purchase...

Margaret_M

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am looking to purchase my first "good" camera. I'm looking at the Nikon website. I want to take pics of my kids and I notice some of their cameras also shoot video. What do you think of these types of cameras? Do you think I'm better off buying two separate cameras....one for still pics and one for video? I really want both to be very high quality.

Thanks, Margaret

my personal opinion is... if you really want to get into the photography part and learn about it... just get a decent old dslr and see if you actually like it... can always sell it back for as much as you paid for it if it's not your cup of tea...

if you just want snapshots and video clips of the kids and stuff why not just get a P&S that does a pretty decent job of both... you'd save a lot of hassle and they a lot more convenient and easy to use...

Well, I have the Nikon D90 because I have 3 little kids that I want to capture as much as possible. I've found the photo quality to be superb as well as the video. It's about 3 times what I wanted to originally spend but worth EVERY penny and more.

Knowing I can bring my camera and on a moments notice capture a unique, fun, memorable moment on video is just awesome.

The only people that talk down about a DSLR with video are the ones who haven't tried it or have no use for it - to me, it's the only way to fly!

Most point and shoot cameras will have you suffering from shutter lag or poor indoor performance.

I'd recommend the D5000 or D90 personally... I think you'll find yourself beyond happy with either one.

Well, I have the Nikon D90 because I have 3 little kids that I want to capture as much as possible. I've found the photo quality to be superb as well as the video. It's about 3 times what I wanted to originally spend but worth EVERY penny and more.

Knowing I can bring my camera and on a moments notice capture a unique, fun, memorable moment on video is just awesome.

The only people that talk down about a DSLR with video are the ones who haven't tried it or have no use for it - to me, it's the only way to fly!

Most point and shoot cameras will have you suffering from shutter lag or poor indoor performance.

I'd recommend the D5000 or D90 personally... I think you'll find yourself beyond happy with either one.

I agree, I also have the D90, and for kids and video i think that it really would fit your needs well (although I don't have kids unless my dog counts :)), if you are willing to spend the money you can get a nice kit together that will suite your needs best, I think that your camera "grows" with you, seeing that you will be amazed by the photo/video quality when you first turn it on, and you will be able to expand your horizons later if that is what you choose to do.

Last edited:
The video capability of some of the more modern d-slr models is a consumer inducement, put in mainly to give consumers an excuse, a justification, to get them to buy a new d-slr to replace the perfectly acceptable d-slr they already have.

I carry a Flip type camera when I want to shoot video. But if I were in the market for a D90, I would consider it to be a camera with good image quality,nice features, plus one that can shoot video clips. I think both Pentax and Canon both have better video capability than the D90 has, from the reviews I have seen on line.

Last edited:
I would second the opinion on the Nikon D90. I've owned it for a month now, and needless to say, it has performed beyond my expectations. It takes great photos. The kit lens that is offered with the D90 should get you started. Once you get a hang of it, you can move further on to other lenses alongside your shooting preference. The video quality is great. It takes a little time getting used to it but, you won't regret it once you've learned how to use it. It is rather expensive specially for a start-off camera but I think, it definitely pays off over the long run.
Good luck!

Personally I despise the addition of video. I feel dslrs are for photographs and I feel these gimmicks are added to entice people that should be spending money on a different line of cameras but at the same time adding cost to a camera that could have features added that make actual picture taking better.

Ive seen so many occasions where people have a d200 or d300 nikon and shoot on auto with a stock lens. Pretty lame:p

Hello Margaret,

I have the Nikon D5000, and it was my first D-SLR camera. I upgraded from a little point and shoot. I don't have kids (or pets), but absolutely love the camera. I have yet to shoot in video mode, but may see an application for it in the future. I think it would be great for what you are looking to do.

You should also look at the Canon (I think it is the Rebel XTI), which has many similar features for about the same price. Pick them both up in a store and see which feels more comfortable to YOU. I happened to like the Nikon better, but it is all personal preference. (Generally Nikon owners will tell you Nikons are better, and Canon owners will tell you Canons are better). Overall they both make great cameras.

Many people on this thread have also mentioned the Nikon D90. If you have the money, and think you would like to get into more photography, it may be the better buy. It allows you to autofocus the older style of Nikon lenses, where the D5000 will only autofocus the newer (AF-S) lenses. Many older lenses are still excellent and readily available (both new and used), and at a significant discount over the newer model lenses. Especially with portraiture, the price difference in a couple of prime (fixed focal length) lenses will make up the initial purchase price.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and when you get your gear and start taking pictures, be sure to post them.

-Andy

Personally I despise the addition of video. I feel dslrs are for photographs and I feel these gimmicks are added to entice people that should be spending money on a different line of cameras but at the same time adding cost to a camera that could have features added that make actual picture taking better.

Ive seen so many occasions where people have a d200 or d300 nikon and shoot on auto with a stock lens. Pretty lame:p

I feel the same way too, but mabye thats because i have loads pro video gear at my disposal with my partner being a film producer.

I suppose there is a market for it, many people buy dslrs who have little or no intrest in photography. They will make what sells

I'd like to add a +1 to everything that Bad Andy said. He's pretty much hit the nail right on the head.

The video capability of some of the more modern d-slr models is a consumer inducement, put in mainly to give consumers an excuse, a justification, to get them to buy a new d-slr to replace the perfectly acceptable d-slr they already have.

I carry a Flip type camera when I want to shoot video. But if I were in the market for a D90, I would consider it to be a camera with good image quality,nice features, plus one that can shoot video clips. I think both Pentax and Canon both have better video capability than the D90 has, from the reviews I have seen on line.

I feel the same way too, but mabye thats because i have loads pro video gear at my disposal with my partner being a film producer.

I suppose there is a market for it, many people buy dslrs who have little or no intrest in photography. They will make what sells

There's a lot of independent film makers and other videographer types that like DSLRs with video. There was even a rumor that they were using Canon 5D MKII's in the last Harry Potter for a few scenes.

For the price of the bodies and glass, there's no way you could get a dedicated video camera to get the quality and the DOF that a DSLR shooting video could get. Plus compare the sensor sizes.

Don't be so apt to call out camera companies for adding "gimmicks" to intice noobs into buying cameras when it's a feature that professionals actually use.

AHEM. Vincent Laforet anyone? I mean, Reverie was pretty much the first demonstration of using video with a DSLR and it was pretty damn good.

gim·mick (g
ibreve.gif
m
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
k)
n. 1.
a. A device employed to cheat, deceive, or trick, especially a mechanism for the secret and dishonest control of gambling apparatus.
b. An innovative or unusual mechanical contrivance; a gadget.

a. An innovative stratagem or scheme employed especially to promote a project: an advertising gimmick.
b. A significant feature that is obscured, misrepresented, or not readily evident; a catch.

3. A small object whose name does not come readily to mind.

And only one of those definitions I see for gimmick has a negative connotation.

since my original battery for the carema could not last long time , i decided to buy another digital camera batetry .now i have purchased one online,however, i donnot know how to identify the quality,need help. thanks.:meh:

I hate you. Die spammer. :grumpy:

Here is a great deal for starting out and if you really stay with photography, the combo can be a great back up.

My choice would be to buy a Nikon d50 body which you can get off Craigslist for $250. The d50 was the low light champ prior to the d300 and works with all Nikon AF lenses. Much better camera than the d40 or d60.

Second, I would buy the, sharp as a tack, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 lens which you can get off Craigslist for $150.

You can add a 50mm f/1.8 for ~$100 to take indoor shots without the flash.

That's $500, which is less than $100 more than the Canon S90 compact camera.

since my original battery for the carema could not last long time , i decided to buy another digital camera batetry .now i have purchased one online,however, i donnot know how to identify the quality,need help. thanks.:meh:

stick that battery up your ass.

and spell check your posts.

eff you.

Thank you all for your input! I think I'm leaning toward the D90, but I have to go check it out in person. On the website I see they have editing software like the capture nx 2. Does anyone have this? Do you use something else? Thanks again!

Most reactions

Back