New to photography.. looking at a camera to buy & photo editing

boyd03

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello..

I have always had a passion for photography, just never knew much about it. With a friends wedding coming up she asked me to take her engagement pictures. So now I am looking at cameras to buy and photo editing software. Here is a camera I found that is a little more than my budget but thought it sounded good.
Please let me know if this camera is a good choice also what is some good photo editing software that I can purchase to turn a good picture into a fabulous picture.

The camera I found is a Nikon D5000 12.3MP DX digital SLR camera with an 18-55mm

Thanks in advance for the advice! :D

That's a good camera and a good lens. There are better lenses for engagement pictures (sharper and faster) but you may do OK with the kit 18-55. It's a great lens for the price. Better lenses are more costly than the camera itself. Try to take fabulous pictures and minimize post-production. Study photography and composition day and night.

Edit: Oh, and practice, practice, practice!

Last edited:
Hello..

I have always had a passion for photography, just never knew much about it......
Is that an oxymoron?

How can you have a passion for it, but know little about it?

At this stage of your passion, any camera will work.

The industry standard image editing software is Adobe CS5, but the pro version is a $699 software application.

Adobe makes a de-featured consimer version called Photoshop Elements 9 that is about $75.

There is also some free, open source image editing software at www.GIMP.org.

The Nikon D5000, while still a good beginners camera is no longer in production, having been replaced by the D5100. Also worth knowing is that Nikon offers some lenses that will not auto focus on most of the the Nikon entry-level cameras because they don't have an auto focus motor in them, but fear not, most of those lenses will likely cost more than you want to spend for a lens. None of Canon's cameras have a focus motor in them, so you actually have more options with Nikon.

As far as photo editing software, Lightroom is a must. And, right now several places have it at a all time low in price. I'd definitely take advantage of it.

Most reactions

Back