New To Photography (Questions..)

Santo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ooitzsanto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got a couple of questions that I think you guys might be able to help me with. ;)

I just started messing around with photography this past summer. I bought myself a Fujifilm Finepix s700. I love it to death. I take pictures of everything, even though I suck lol.

Well, I'm a Junior in college and I decided to take a photography course this semester. Today was my first day of class and I'm required to have a manual camera. Any suggestions (35mm)?

Also, the Fujifilm camera that I have. Being as though I'm a novice, do you think I'll be able to stick with that camera for a while or will I have to buy a new one soon due to any limitations it might have..? I notice a lot of photographers constantly buy new cameras and I really just want to stick with one for a while. ;)

What programs do you use (Window users) to manage and organize your photos? Picasa?

Thanks a million in advance. ;)

As far as manual cameras go, the Pentax K1000 is a great 35mm SLR that can be found in good condition for great prices. There are tons of lenses out there for it, as well.

I use Lightroom to manage my photos, but Picasa is a great free app.

I got a couple of questions that I think you guys might be able to help me with. ;)

I just started messing around with photography this past summer. I bought myself a Fujifilm Finepix s700. I love it to death. I take pictures of everything, even though I suck lol.

Well, I'm a Junior in college and I decided to take a photography course this semester. Today was my first day of class and I'm required to have a manual camera. Any suggestions (35mm)?

Also, the Fujifilm camera that I have. Being as though I'm a novice, do you think I'll be able to stick with that camera for a while or will I have to buy a new one soon due to any limitations it might have..? I notice a lot of photographers constantly buy new cameras and I really just want to stick with one for a while. ;)

What programs do you use (Window users) to manage and organize your photos? Picasa?

Thanks a million in advance. ;)
I buy a new camera about every 5 years or so But it has nothing to do with me getting bored. I still use every one of them. each has there own purpose.As 4 a 35mm I have a couple of Minolta bodies,lenses,and flashes 4 sale. IM me if your interested.

I bought myself a Fujifilm Finepix s700.

....and I'm required to have a manual camera.
Hello from another S700 user. What do they mean by "manual camera"? Your S700 is fully manual, as in you have full control over aperture, shutter, and ISO. You also have manual control over focus, but it is quite difficult with the S700. You also are limited with a fixed lens where with a dSLR, you can swap out different lenses specifically for what you want to achieve.

The little Fuji won't have as much range as a dSLR camera, such as the aperture is limited to f/3.5 to f/11.6 or shutter speeds of 1/1000 for the fastest and 4 seconds for the slowest. Nor will the Fuji take as nice of photos in capable hands as a dSLR would in the same hands, but you do indeed already have a fully manual camera (read the owner's manual).

I'm guessing for the class, they want you to have control over your ISO, and have Program Shift, Shutter priority, Aperture priority, and full Manual modes, which is what the P, S, A, and M are on the dial on top of the camera. You don't need $1000+ worth of camera to learn photography, you only need the capabilities that your camera already has.

Hello from another S700 user. What do they mean by "manual camera"? Your S700 is fully manual, as in you have full control over aperture, shutter, and ISO. You also have manual control over focus, but it is quite difficult with the S700. You also are limited with a fixed lens where with a dSLR, you can swap out different lenses specifically for what you want to achieve.

The little Fuji won't have as much range as a dSLR camera, such as the aperture is limited to f/3.5 to f/11.6 or shutter speeds of 1/1000 for the fastest and 4 seconds for the slowest. Nor will the Fuji take as nice of photos in capable hands as a dSLR would in the same hands, but you do indeed already have a fully manual camera (read the owner's manual).

I'm guessing for the class, they want you to have control over your ISO, and have Program Shift, Shutter priority, Aperture priority, and full Manual modes, which is what the P, S, A, and M are on the dial on top of the camera. You don't need $1000+ worth of camera to learn photography, you only need the capabilities that your camera already has.
Oh I understand that the Fuji is "manual", but for my class they're requiring a 35mm manual camera. I just found out that I can rent one through my school, so for now, I'll be alright.

My question, regarding to the Fuji camera is, while it does have a lot of manual functions, it is still a point and shoot camera (don't get me wrong, I love my Fuji). Do you think that I can stick with it for a while (based on its capabilities) or should I be looking to upgrade "out of" a point and shoot camera? Hope that all made sense.

Oh I understand that the Fuji is "manual", but for my class they're requiring a 35mm manual camera.
Doh! Did I miss that specific in the original post?

My question, regarding to the Fuji camera is, while it does have a lot of manual functions, it is still a point and shoot camera (don't get me wrong, I love my Fuji). Do you think that I can stick with it for a while (based on its capabilities) or should I be looking to upgrade "out of" a point and shoot camera? Hope that all made sense.
Don't get me wrong either, I really like my Fuji as well. But the reason I'm using it over a dSLR is because of finances. If I could afford a dSLR, I would drop the Fuji in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, the cost of a dSLR would be better spent getting a different car. I could get quite an upgrade in transportation for the cost of say, a Canon XTi with only 1 added lens, hehe.

Good luck with the classes. Sounds like fun.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back