New to photography, Sample picture's

Status
Not open for further replies.

add1ct

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi i'm actually fairly new to photography. So here's how i got into photography. My girlfriend actually purchased a Nikon D40x for me as a early birthday present. October 2, 2007 was the date i got my camera. The reason she bought the camera for me was because of how i'm always questioning how people get pictures to look so amazing. Before i recieved this camera i literally knew nothing about photography; even now i still don't know what i'm doing half the time. Well here i am 4 days later and here's a few shots i took:

Smoke away the stress
dope.jpg

Incomplete Tatoo 10/05/07
christat4-1.jpg

Smoking Kills
smoke.jpg

Santee Alley in Downtown LA
santee1-1.jpg

My true happiness.
tweak1-1.jpg

Tweaker's Love
tweak1.jpg

Disney's California Adventure: Fun with the family.
disney.jpg

Nice! The one thing that strikes me however, is that most of them are centered. I like the 5th/6th ones best.

Centered? Do u mind elaborating more on that? any tips you can give me that i can use next time. I'd be really grateful for any advice i can get.

5th/6th one was taken 2 days ago. The first picture is actually my favorite because i was actually just messing with the settings and i accidently hit the take picture button and when i looked at it i was amazed at how it looked

here's a few more pics. not all that great so don't be afraid to show your thoughts on these

Bugs inside
Orchid.jpg

Window Shopping
PBRC-1.jpg

This one actually had so much light in the backround from the sunset. any tips on how to get better pics when the sun is directly behind the shot you want?
sun.jpg

Centered? Do u mind elaborating more on that? any tips you can give me that i can use next time. I'd be really grateful for any advice i can get.

5th/6th one was taken 2 days ago. The first picture is actually my favorite because i was actually just messing with the settings and i accidently hit the take picture button and when i looked at it i was amazed at how it looked

Like the subject is in the center of a frame. Ideally - you'd aim to put the subject a third of the way up and a third of the way across. This is called the rule of thirds. You might want to research that ;) Some subjects require center alignment, for example when you want to create a feeling of isolation.

I notice with your new pictures are a bit soft. Try minimising the aperture to increase the depth of focus, I see your shooting at f/5.6. Obviously if you were closer to the subject shoot at the widest you can get.

Have fun! ;)

Like the subject is in the center of a frame. Ideally - you'd aim to put the subject a third of the way up and a third of the way across. This is called the rule of thirds. You might want to research that ;) Some subjects require center alignment, for example when you want to create a feeling of isolation.

I notice with your new pictures are a bit soft. Try minimising the aperture to increase the depth of focus, I see your shooting at f/5.6. Obviously if you were closer to the subject shoot at the widest you can get.

Have fun! ;)

thanks will try that next time.

about the softness in my pictures. those were taken the day i got the camera so i really did not know what i was doing. matter of fact i still dont know what im doing. i just wanted to see what i could have done to make them better. so thanks for the advice

Hi!!! I'm kinda' new to the scene myself but I get what you were trying to do. First of all, GREAT COMPOSITION, you really know how to frame a picture. Second, mine has this but I don't know about the Nikon cams. There's a flower icon, it's supposed to be on the right side of your camera or wherever you see the little flower. Press that button, that gives great depth of field shots. What's depth of field?....okay!! If you wanted that chick to come out clear--which i know you did--you could have focused your lens on her and make the background blur. THat's depth of field....your subject comes out clear meanwhile the stuff around your subject blurs. But it's kinda' hard to do it on moving objects, it's better with inanimate objects like those drug pics you shot.

well being that i've been ripped off by a crack head i really don't care for the pics at all...

well being that i've been ripped off by a crack head i really don't care for the pics at all...

fair enough. not gonna argue your view being that i know where you're coming from

Hi!!! I'm kinda' new to the scene myself but I get what you were trying to do. First of all, GREAT COMPOSITION, you really know how to frame a picture. Second, mine has this but I don't know about the Nikon cams. There's a flower icon, it's supposed to be on the right side of your camera or wherever you see the little flower. Press that button, that gives great depth of field shots. What's depth of field?....okay!! If you wanted that chick to come out clear--which i know you did--you could have focused your lens on her and make the background blur. THat's depth of field....your subject comes out clear meanwhile the stuff around your subject blurs. But it's kinda' hard to do it on moving objects, it's better with inanimate objects like those drug pics you shot.

yeah macro mode. i know what that is and i actually had it on macro but i was walking when i took the picture that is why it didnt come out as clear as i wanted it to be

I am just wondering about the message you are trying to put across calling the image of what I am assuming is a meth pipe "my true happiness". If it is what I think it is I think you might have a problem.

His screen name is addict and his photo is of drugs. I feel this is not the right place for this type of photo.

I am just wondering about the message you are trying to put across calling the image of what I am assuming is a meth pipe "my true happiness". If it is what I think it is I think you might have a problem.

i was referring to my best friend who died overdosing on meth. he would always tell me that his pipe was his "true happiness" and that nothing in this world gave him that feeling of happiness better than meth. The pipe used in the picture is his pipe which he said to never let leave the garage. I have already quit meth. Clean for over 2 years now and my true happiness and anti drug is my girl who has been the biggest reason for me quitting. So that is how i got that title. My bestfriend referred to smoking out of that pipe as his "True Happiness"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back