New to photography!

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm new to photography. I now only a few terms about cameras and stuff. I want to know what a good beginner DSLR camera will be and lenses. One that has all the basic manual settings and is cheap (less then $400 but preferably around $100-200 also I'll be willing to buy a camera used.) Where can I find a good thread or website that teaches the basics about photography. I only know what apature (spelled that right?) is and I still don't understand composition. Thanks for any help I get.

umm im doubting a 100-200$ digital SLR
but ive seen factory refurbed d40's for like under 500 with the lens and everything else.

absolutely
u can get a fully manual 35mm SLR for 100-200 with a couple lenses
i got my Minolta X-700 on ebay for 150 in addition to 4 lenses, an external flash, an auto-rewinder for the film, and a bag to put it all in =P

absolutely
u can get a fully manual 35mm SLR for 100-200 with a couple lenses
i got my Minolta X-700 on ebay for 150 in addition to 4 lenses, an external flash, an auto-rewinder for the film, and a bag to put it all in =P

What 35 mm cameras should I get? Also what kind of film?

There are so many choices, 35mm cameras are for the most part all the same in ability, there are very few features that differentiate them from one another.

My personal suggestion for a starting camera would be a Canon EF SLR Body, It's not the cheapest SLR on the market nor the easiest to find, but it is an easy camera to own and opperate.

If you can not find the EF pick up an AE-1, it opperates on the same lenses and fiew finder, but it's far cheaper and easy to come by.

As far as film you can try anything available to you, I switch between Kodak and Fuji regularly, I am happy enough with both even though I know there is better out there, I can get them at the corner drugstore.

Some pics of the two cameras

http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108143 - Canon EF

http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116624 - Canon AE-1

There are some great Rebel 2000 camera's on Ebay that go for less than $100 with a few very nice lenses that you could hold on to for your DSLR when you have decided to go digital.
The Rebel has all the digital of todays camera's give or take but the AF is all there for you and metering really the only thing you would miss as a beginner is the LCD screen.
I think 35mm is a great place to start on a budget when those camera's came out just a few years ago they were way over $500 now you can usually pick one up with a kit lens for about $40 on Ebay!

If you want to bypass Ebay do you have a reputable camera store?
Here in Canada we have Henrys and they sell used stuff with 3 month warranty you pay more but I think it's worth it plus they ship really quickly and everything is checked over and rated.

I'm sure everyone will have some great ideas for you ...
In my signature are some old pictures I took with the 35mm Rebel and kit lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back