New to Photography

KevinPutman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there, my name is Kevin. I'm a bit new to the whole Photography thing, so I thought I would post up some of the pictures I've taken and see what others thought?
I'm good at taking criticism. So feel free to be harsh. I'm here to learn and get better at something I like to do.

I currently have a Canon Powershot S5 IS DLSR. The different settings still confuse me a bit here and there, and I sometimes have trouble getting it where I want it, but I'm pretty good with it for the most part. I definitely wish I had a nicer camera, with a better lens, flash, etc. But oh well. Point and shoot has to do for now.

I try not to edit the pictures I take before posting them, although there are a few here and there with brightness/contrast adjustments, and some coloration.
I'm very talented with Adobe Photoshop, so If I do any editing I do it there.

Most of the pictures I've been taking are outdoors, I haven't experimented with much else yet.

So I'd greatly appreciate any and all comments on my photos. And ways to better improve.

Thanks!
Kevin.

Here is most of my work.
Photography pictures by KevinPutman - Photobucket

And here are what I consider to be some of my best.
IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

195003_1743957732002_1630522258_1625389_3750276_o.jpg

Last edited:
FYI the Canon S5 IS isn't a DSLR. However, it may look similar to one. It's considered more of a 'bridge' camera.

The two dog's eye views at the start are kind of fun images.

FYI the Canon S5 IS isn't a DSLR. However, it may look similar to one. It's considered more of a 'bridge' camera.
Ahh that makes sense. -shrug-
I'm thinking about upgrading to a Canon Rebel T2i here soon. I want to master this one though.

Okay, well for some C&C

1. There doesn't appear to be any real focal point, or subject. The horizon is crooked as well. There's also somewhat of a distracting background too.

2. A better shot compositionally, but still not particularly interesting to look at. It is properly exposed though.

3. The subject is centered which generally is a no-no in terms of composition. However, centering a subject does work very well in some instances.

4. This would have been a better shot if you had a different angle, a more close up and top down view. As it is, it's very snap shotty.

5. Shooting aquatic life is quite difficult especially in dim lighting conditions. Your camera had it's ISO set to 1600 which makes for a grainy image.

6. The subject is centered in this photo as well. It also suffers from High ISO noise.

7. Probably the best of the bunch, but the use of on board flash put some nasty shadows in the lower right hand corner of the frame. The camera is also tilted to the side.

The T2i is a good DSLR to get your feet wet with. It has great video capability and better noise handling than your current camera.

Exactly what I was looking for ^-^ Thanks!

As for what you said about the last picture,
in certain instances I've had problems with the on board flash, and taking photos on certain settings. If the flash is down, the image tends to become very blurry.
It might just be my inexperience with the camera, but I've looked everywhere for information about it, to no avail.
Would you have any suggestions on how to better learn the camera? I play with the settings, ISO's, apertures, and such all the time, just trying to figure out what to use where, but still have problems.

The image will be blurry if you shoot at a slow shutter speed. Either get a tripod, raise the iso, or widen the aperture.

Most reactions

Back