Just Ordered a new canon rebel xti 10.1 today
It is coming with the kit lens

my question is what are some lenses to look at getting

I enjoy taking picture from hilltops and mountains
loking for something with good zoom

Prolly want to stay under 500$
for now

Welcome to the forum.

By 'good zoom' do you mean you want a lens that is long, so that you can photography things that are far away? If so, then I'd recommend you have a look at the Canon 70-300 (cheaper lens, good in bright light, not so good in low light)....or perhaps the 70-200 F4 L (might be a bit above your budget but it's one of the best zoom lenses that you can buy).

Personally, if I were up on a mountain or hill top, I would want to use a lens that is short/wide in order to take in the view. For that purpose, I have the Canon 10-22mm. It's a great lens and it's really wide, which is great for landscapes. It's a bit above your budget, so you can also have a look at the Tokina 12-24mm, or the Sigma 10-20mm.

do you have any experiance with signa lenses?

is it a you get what you pay for type deal

Yes, I've had a few Sigma lenses, as well as a very nice Tamron lens...to go along with my Canon cameras and lenses. I've got no complaints.

It is a 'get what you pay for' type of thing but that is not brand specific. Canon has some of the best lenses and also has some pretty cruddy lenses as well. Same thing with Sigma & Tamron etc...they each have dogs and gems in the line up. For the most part, the easy way to tell is by the price...so yes, you do get what you pay for.

That being said, Canon is a leading brand name and there is a bit of a premium attached to their gear. It's not uncommon that a Canon lens is quite a bit more expensive than a very similar lens from Sigma or Tamron. In most cases, the Canon is a better lens...but it might only be 10% better while it costs 30-50% more. Those who can afford the best (Canon L lenses) swear by them...but many people use the less expensive, off brand stuff and are perfectly happy with that.

thank you big mike. That is extremely helpful information :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back