New To Site & Photography

AmandaElizabeth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi my name is Amanda. I recently started taking up photography as a hobby since I've always had an interest in it. I'm currently using a basic consumer camera for the moment(Nikon Cool Pix L24) but was told(by my SO) that if I can get really good at taking good pictures with that in a few months I'll get the Digital SLR that I want. I'm currently just taking pictures of my 13 month old, dogs, & surrounding scenery as practice. Any tips and advice on how to get great pictures with just a basic camera etc. would be greatly appreciated =)

Great photos can be done with almost any camera. A great photo is about composition, using the light you have to advantage, interesting treatment of the subject, adding light or modifying light .... in other words, its about about creativity as technicality.

The best way I found to improve your images is to review them with a critical eye, look past the subject, such as your cute kids pulling at your strings and try to see where the image isn't quite up to your expectations. Recognizing the weaknesses is the first step to building up the strength of the imagery.

Read up on lighting and how to control it, on posing subjects and on framing the image. Try to imagine the image you want to create in your mind's eye before you even lay hands on your camera then try to execute your vision with the tools at hand.

Good luck.

Scroll down the list of threads in the Beginner's forum (15 or so threads down) until you find the thread - http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-forum/267492-info-those-new-photography.html

There are some links in that thread to online info you may find helpful.

Being familiar with what features, functions, and capabilities your camera has available for you to use is also helpful. The camera user's manual has that info.

Photography is highly dependent upon where, and i mean exactly where, the camera is placed and exactly where it is pointed, and when the shutter release is pressed. The things to work on are where to stand, sit,crouch,kneel,or brace the camera, what to frame it up on, and when to press the button. Many people forget those basics. Working on where and the when is the secret to getting pictures that are rewarding. A basic camera of today, 2012, would have been the equivalent of a high-level, professional photographer's camera in the 1880's. Today's basic camera, or cell phone camera, can make good pictures. The basic skill is the where and the when part.

You can even take a great photo with your phone. Getting some tips & critiques from other photographers is the best way to improve.

I am new as well and have found KenRockwell.com very helpful.

Most reactions

Back