New to the board - Photography novice

Stevie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, newbie here. I've been lurking for a week or so and thought I should register so I can ask some annoying newbie questions, lol. I got a new Canon Rebel K2 film camera for Christmas and have absolutely no idea whatsoever how to use it, or what assessories to buy for it. I signed up for a beginners photography class which starts in February but I would like to learn what I can before then so I don't walk in totally clueless.

My question to you is, for a beginner, what lenses or other gear do you suggest? The camera came with a 28-90mm zoom lens and I bought a cirular polarizer. I'm interested in wide angle and macro lenses.

I took two rolls of pictures on Christmas day, just experimenting around. All of the pics came out 'okay' but really mundane. I'd like to shoot some interesting night photos, still life and architecture settings, but I have no idea what I need, if anything, to do that. Is there a special flash or something? Sorry, I said I was a novice, lol.

TIA.

Stevie, welcome.

Lense type is really governed by the types of photo you want to take. The 28-90mm that came with the camera is a good place to start and will be suitable for a wide variety of photography.

It's good to get some experience and find out a bit about what you like taking pictures of before going out to buy more stuff, and the camera you have offers a fair range of options.

Night photographs tend to be more about the length of the exposure than the flash. The only thing you'd really need to take some great night shots would be a tripod (and perhaps a cable release) as holding the camera steady for the exposire time required is pretty much impossible.

While the web is good, I personally find places like this best for specific questions and advice; for a general introduction I'd suggest you grab a book. Something like "The 35mm Photographers handbook" or anything that claims to be an introduction to 35mm or SLR photography. The library or book store should have plenty of options. Once you've had a read through and you've shot some more film you'll probably have some ideas about the equipment you want. That's when a place like this comes into its own for reviews, advice and support.

Congrats on the new camera! :)

You've already done the smartest thing you could do at this stage, which is signing up for the beginner's class. :thumbup: I wouldn't invest much money into any gear until you've started the class and get specific assignments. A good prime lens (not a zoom) might be the only thing I'd suggest - probably a 50mm lens will be what your teacher will suggest, and as fast a lens as you can afford. When you are learning composition, it helps to shoot everything with a single lens and stick with that lens for awhile. Later on, you will have a much better idea of what you'll want to add to your gear.

Before class? As was suggested, read a lot, and shoot a lot. When you start having specific questions, make a list of things you want explained better. Sometimes, just having a grasp of what you don't know makes you better prepared to be taught, if that makes sense. ;)

We're all here in the meantime, too! So welcome to the forum, keep posting and have fun! :D

Thanks for your responses!

The lens that I have came with the camera so I'll assume it's nothing too fancy for someone like myself. :mrgreen:

Again, thanks. Looks like I could learn quite a bit just from browsing this forum. Great site!

what ya want in the form of kit all depends on what you want to shoot. I spend 99% of my time shooting t/f dragsters doin 300mph oftain 1/4 mile away from where im stood so i use a 600mm (i think) f1 lense which would be totaly impractical to shoot portraits with so decide what you want to shoot mainly and well point you in the right direction

Welcome to the best photography forum on the net stevie.

There are so many lenses, and other bits you can get. Browse here a bit and go shoot when you feel like it. There are loads of people here that will help or advise you so apart from joining a beginners course, you've joined the best open source there is TPF.

Canon Cameras have various books and leaflets but when I first bought my EOS 1000 (Rebel in USA) and my EOS 10 I also bought a copy of the HOVE FOTO BOOKS to along with it.

IBSN 0-9644-87-x (Now out of Print)

Have a look on Amazon and see if this is the type of book you want. This might help.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157990761X/ref=pd_sim_b_1/103-3529331-2349407?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155[/ame]

Again Welcome to TPF. Have fun and post away .. People will reply to requests of what they think or how to improve.

Most reactions

Back