New to the Business Aspect.

xxWesxx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
wesleyphotographyshots.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been photographing for about 4 years now, and im wanting to start getting jobs. I have done many things such as making a facebook page, website, Google+ , and Craigslist ads. Nothing seems to work. Am I doing something wrong? Am I not industry good? Any advice? Thanks!
-Wes

http://facebook.com/groups/wesleyhatfieldphotography
WHP Home

From my point of view, your website is a train wreck ... if it is supposed to be a photography business website.
EVERY page takes an absolute age to load - I lasted a LOT longer than I normally would because you are looking for feedback ... but even then I could only last until ONE page loaded. ON revisiting your site, pages loaded more quickly.
Your header takes a long time to load and takes up too much space on every page.
Your "About Me" needs to be pulled down and reworked - no-one is interested in when you were born. Why should some-one hire you? What will they be getting?
You want to start a business yet you have only ONE gallery of MIXED images.
You have NO information about what type of photography people might hire you for - and then examples for them to see your style.
You have ONE reference to pricing or products information - "prices start at $60". For what? What other options are there?

These comments are only related to a cursory look at your website ... how to run a business, how to reach out to clients is an ENTIRELY other story altogether.

Last edited:
Pretty much what Ace said! Your website could well serve as an example of all the things one should NOT do!

-Rework the pages so that peple don't have to scroll vertically. People are lazy, if they don't see it, they're not going to look for it. When talking to potential clients, we do NOT "shoot" them; we PHOTOGRAPH them! The general quality of images on your 'site shows NOTHING that anyone is likely to hire you for. They're generally very under-exposed and the few portraits I did see all appeared to be shot solely iwth inadequate ambient light. Ten great images will always have more impact than 100 mediocre ones.

So: Take the 'site RIGHT NOW! Spend the next two weeks shooting with the goal of producing at least six portraits and four other images. Concnetrate on nailing focus, exposure and go for simple, pleasing compositions. Rework your home page so it has your best image as a banner with a general overview of the services your provide, where you're located, and what you charge. Have a single gallery page with small (<200x200) thumbnails linking to larger images, so that people can review your work. Redo the self-port for your 'About' page and redo the whole page. Choose, clean, bright colours; as-is, your whole site has a very dark, unpleasant feel to it.

Now... all of that aside, your website not going to generate much, if any traffic. It's a place you send people to look at your work. Word of mouth and traditional advertising are how you want to get known. Get onto to Model Mayhem, do some TF shoots, do a few free senior shoots, get your name out there. People will NOT come to you until they know about you; you have to start by going to them and remember: Always under-promise and over deliver. If you screw something up, fix it, even if it costs you money. Your reputation is priceless. When people like your work, they will tell others; when they don't, they will YELL to others!

Yikes
You website looks like one of those original MySpace pages from a decade ago

The original MySpace is long gone now ....

peruse other Pro Photogs websites and you will see a striking difference from theirs to yours ... everything the above 2 posts mentioned.

Truthfully, looking at your website I would have NO idea that you actually are selling photography services.

Am I not industry good?

Knowing nothing about your present clients, I can't speculate on their impressions, but apparently you are getting some business. :)

However, there is room for improvement, and that is what you will have to do in order to graduate to the next echelon.

Thank you guys so much! I understand the website is a HUGE mess. Haha. First website i have ever done. Could anyone suggest a FREE website designer? Something i can make on the website, maybe exports to HTML? I have a Go-Daddy account, and I do not have the money, to pay for another Web site designer. Or anyone could point me in a good website designer, that would be willing to do charity? "haha didnt think so" Haha.

"Free" and "Business" do not go together. If you have hosting already covered, then you can always look at a WordPress based 'site, or even just spend a few hours reading and hand-code it the old-fashioned way. HTML isn't difficult, and there are only about a dozen or so tags you need to know in order to put a half-decent looking 'site together. I would still recommend getting your photography skills up to far first. Granted the business of photography is much more about business then photography, but if you can't deliver the product...

If you have Go-Daddy
then you have access to their 5 page FREE website builder

you can start there

GoDaddy also has online book keeping (and many other frees on on the internet, just search)
GoDaddy also has a Photo Album and Blogcast

I haven't used any of those I mentioned above ... but since you have GoDaddy already, you may want to log into your account and see what you can do.

Okay, I actually just realized that there is an adobe product that seems to be alot easier than dreamweaver. Seems to be a whole lot better interface. Adobe Muse seems to be what im looking for. No offense to tire in any way, but I think my photography is very good. Maybe im totally 100% wrong. But i have never had 1 un happy client. They have always been completely satisfied. Now tire your photography probably looks a WHOLE lot better ha-ha. I haven't had to much experience when it comes to DSLRs. Thats why im going to school for it haha.

I have fixed the website, Tell me if it is any better! I think its a whole lot cleaner haha
Home

It still needs a lot of work. Get rid of the Facebook integration. The Nav buttons are too big and the contact page is awful. Also why would you charge for Self-Portraits.

I have fixed the website, Tell me if it is any better! I think its a whole lot cleaner haha
Home
Better? Maybe. Is it good enough to be the front for a business? Not by a long shot.
I would suggest you look at a bunch of established photographer's websites - Google.
The difference should slap you right in the face. If you don't have the money to buy a website from a host (Zenfolio, Wordpress, Smugmug, Squarespace) then are you really serious about this venture? You do not need to do anything in Dreamweaver.
As I said earlier, your website is just ONE element of establishing and running a photography business. So much more about marketing, business plans, costs of doing business, branding ... oh, and photographic skill.
Please don't add "haha" to your threads. It seems to be used as an excuse for why you haven't done something thoroughly or properly. If you are not going to attend to the details of running a business then don't ... just enjoy the hobby.

... No offense to tire in any way, but I think my photography is very good. Maybe im totally 100% wrong. But i have never had 1 un happy client. They have always been completely satisfied...
None taken! If you are satisfied with your work, and your clients are satisfied with it, then that's what counts. I will however ask you how many $500 or larger print orders they placed with you and how many were people that you did not know prior (NOT friends, friends of friends or family)?

You do have some good photographs, and many more that had the potential to be good photographs, but two things are consistantly letting you down. Poor poses and bad lighting. I'm going to cite this image: http://wesleyhatfieldphotography.us/images/_mg_3757.jpg

as one example of what I'm referring to. As I said, if you and the client are happy, that's what really matters, but my experience says that this image has a number of issues which should have been addressed.
-Very harsh lighting with harsh shadow lines due to almost direct overhead sun.-"Racoon" eyes, due to direct overhead sun.
-Her hair really should have been tidied up
-Her head is turned to far to her left resulting in wrinkles on her neck
-Her positioning relative to the camera seriously accentuates her left breast making it rather more prominent than is ideal.
-There are trees growing out of her head!
-The little bit of pathway in the background is visually annoying.
-Generally speaking there should be more space on the front of the subject than the back.

Had you brought in a reflector to get some light into her eyes, had her lean back a little to get her weight onto to back leg, and placed her such that the trees weren't 'growing' out of her head, this would have been a nice shot.

This is NOT to 'pick' on you, rather to demonstrate what a more experienced photographer sees as areas for improvement in your work, and a possible reason why your business is not picking up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back