new to the forum and i gotta question

jotan82

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
new to the forum, but not to photography :)

i own a 30d looking to upgrade maybe to a 5d, or 40d...

is it worth it?

i love this forum :)

Pleased that you love the forum.

No point in upgrading to a 40D.

The 5D is the 30D - with a "full-sized" sensor (24x36mm, just as large as a 35mm film frame). If you need that, esp. useful for macro and wide-angle photography, then you should upgrade.

Happy shooting.

What are your reasons for wanting to upgrade? The 30D is a great camera and the while there are upgrades on either the 40D or 5D...it's a short list.

What lenses do you have? I would suggest that upgrading or getting a different lens would be far better choice.

I have the 30D, and for about a year it was my only body. Perfectly happy with it. The main reason I bought my 5D was so I could have 2 bodies in order to shoot weddings without fear of one failing and I'd be up a creek. I chose the 5D because of the full frame. Your 30D is a very capable camera. What are you looking to shoot that you feel the 30D is inadequate?

There's pretty much nothing a 30D wouldn't be good enough for if you're not a pro. Even then, you could still use a 30D for everything almost.

are the lens for the 30D compatible with the 5D? especially since the 5D has a full frame sensor and a 30D does not?

All EF lenses are compatible. EF-S lenses are not.

One thing to note is it is rumored that Canon is going to be coming out with an upgrade to the 5D early this year. If you aren't in great need of one, why not wait until either a) the new one comes out and b) the 5D price drops?

are the lens for the 30D compatible with the 5D? especially since the 5D has a full frame sensor and a 30D does not?
Peanuts has it right. All Canon EF lenses will work just fine on a 30D or 5D or any EOS camera.
EF-S lenses, on the other hand, are only compatible with certain EOS cameras (Rebels and XXD).

Most reactions

Back