New to the forum and new to Photography

FWIW, the 18-200mm lens is often referred to as "the jack of all trades, master of none". It's very convenient since it covers a lot of useful focal lengths but from what I've read its image quality leaves a bit to be desired.

Last edited:
So what makes a wide angle lens? Is it the fact that it goes to 300mm? Or something else.

Remember I'm very new at this, so go easy on me ;-)

Edit: just looked at that link, photos are very impressive. Those are the kinds of pictures that motivate me to learn about this. Thanks.

So from your description, my kit lens, 18-55mm, AND the tamron 18-270 mm are wide angle since they are both under 35mm? And the 70-300mm lens is not wide angle?

You lost me when you started talking about the DX equivalent. But maybe we shouldn't go there yet, I'm confused enough.

Sorry, thanks for your patience. I probably should be reading a book or two before posting questions.

The easiest way I can describe wide angle and telephoto is with wide angle, think of landscapes...wide, scenic pictures. For telephoto, think telescope...getting closer to the subject for say, photographing wild animals or birds. The wider the lens, the smaller the number, so for the 18-55 lens that you have, it goes from wide and being able to fit more into the frame to being at about what you see with your eyes. From there, you get into telephoto...bringing subjects closer to you. So for the 70-300, 70mm would be consider what's called short telephoto, and that continues to about 200mm (subject to personal opinion). Telephoto from 200mm on up, you're drawing the subject closer to you, rather than trying to fit more in with wide angle.

On to sensors. DSLR's have usually two different size sensors, depending on the camera. Since you use Nikon, I'll use them to illustrate this. Nikon uses what's called FX, which designates full frame, or that the sensor is as big as a traditional 35mm camera's film frame size. DX is what's known as "crop sensor" or APS-C. This means that the sensor is smaller than the sensor of a full frame (FX).

I've used this example before, and I hope you can follow it. Anything red that you see is FX. What you see in blue is DX. This also kind of illustrates telephoto. Notice the image at 70mm is slightly bigger than the 50mm.

744px-Full-frame_vs_APS-C.svg.png

Also, here's Nikon's lens simulator, which should help explain things visually:

Nikon Imaging Products NIKKOR Lens Simulator

I hope this helps clear a few things up for you :)

Thanks so much to everyone. Especially Raventepes for your post # 17 with the diagram. It did help, and the Nikon Simulator was a good aid. I get the telephoto/wide angle issue. Having a little more trouble with the FX vs DX, but that's ok, I will learn it over time.
I hear you guys on the negatives of the 18-270 lens. My concern is how, with little experience I have, will I be able to determine which lens to use, and quickly change back and forth to capture shots, if I pick up the 70-200mm, on my trip to Alaska? Maybe that's a dumb question borne out of ignorance, and I am making things to complicated.

So here's a stroke of bad fortune.... I took another lesson this week. And walking around in the park to shoot, my camera, which was slung over my shoulder, fell to the floor. Turns out I didn't secure the strap properly. It seems to work fine, I am able to shoot, and use all the functions. So I was relieved. But when I took the camera in today, to buy the Tamron lens, my 18-55 wouldn't come off. The store (professional photo shop, not a Department Store) told me that apparently when I dropped it, the lens mount was damaged, and I would need to send it to Nikon and they would probably charge me at least $200. (then he proceeded to try to sell me a new D5500)I want to shoot myself. I am leaving for Myrtle Beach next Sunday.

I happen to live 30 minutes from the Nikon Melville NY facility, so I plan on driving out there on Monday morning and seeing if I can get it fixed quickly. And maybe since I've only used the camera a few times they will have sympathy on me and fix it under warranty (but I doubt it).

Most reactions

Back