New to the forum....just sharing......

clipse

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I'm new here. However, I really enjoy taking pictures and recently got into HDR. I am by far great at this but I have fun doing it. Here is a few of mine. I realize some of these pics have some noise. That bugs me but, until I can get a better camera.........

This is my most recent one. The sky could have turned out better. It is very overcast with just a bit of fog.
cabin_small.jpg

These two I was really not happy with the way they turned out but they are not horrible.

city_hall_hdr_cropped_small.jpg

square_hdr_smaller.jpg

This was one of the first I did. After I took the pic and processed it, I realized that the horizon is off as well as the legs on the water tower. It was a quick pic on the first day I got the HDR software so I was excited to try it out. It would have turned out alot better if I didn't have the stuff in the background.

jeep_hdr3_smaller.jpg

Any and all constructive criticism would be very much appreciated.

clipse

Welcome aboard.

I think the Jeep is you best rounded image and i love the color on the cottage but there seems to be too much halo effect on the cottage imo. What program are you using? again welcome to TPF. Its a great place to get some honest opinions and has helped me with most of my decisions so far. Good luck.

Thanks, I'm using photomatix. I need to work a bit more to keep the halo effect out. I had noticed that but didn't know the best way to fix it.

clipse

The jeep is the best one. The old house one would've worked out but the colors are off and you have halo going across most of the processed pictures the night shots also have lot's of noise.

I knew there was noise. I wasn't sure of the best way to rectify that.

Here is another pic. I think its alittle better. It is a local school that is getting tore down.

middle_school_small.jpg

The Jeep photo with some minor tweaking looks like it could be an ad for them, nice work on that one!

Thanks.

Also, I worked the cabin pic over alittle bit.

cabin_small_revised.jpg

Clipse
I like the change you made to the cabin shot.

I am a consultant in the construction industry, so your shot of the school tear down interests me.

But, not just because it is construction. I like the clouds and how it looks like impending doom.

I have learned from members on this site about having a theme when shooting. If I was at the same site as you were, on a cloudy day like that, I would not have been able to take a better shot. I took another look...maybe crop out some of the foreground in the shot, which will also bring the shot closer in, adding to the effect.

I took the liberty to crop the shot, I hope you do not mind

middle_school_small1.jpg

Last edited:
I definitely think the change you made to the cabin were for the better. I didn't like the first edit at all...but this new one looks 10x better. I also like the school being torn down....nice shot.

Of all your shots on this thread your last one of the cabin finally warrants a remark. Excellent. It has the kind of HDR look that I find very appealing. Nice 3D pop out quality to it and the colors arent over the top. The sky, while somewhat bland with its color, at least, doesnt have any tell tale halos around the trees. That shot would be worth repeating on a nice sky blue day.

Of all your shots on this thread your last one of the cabin finally warrants a remark. Excellent. It has the kind of HDR look that I find very appealing. Nice 3D pop out quality to it and the colors arent over the top. The sky, while somewhat bland with its color, at least, doesnt have any tell tale halos around the trees. That shot would be worth repeating on a nice sky blue day.

Speaking of halos.....how do you keep those from appearing? Not trying to jack the thread...but I'm curious cause I just started shooting HDR and my first attempt I have a small amount of halo effect around my trees.

Halos are caused by not giving enough Highlights Smoothing. In Photomatix you can see huge halo when there is no Highlight Smoothing. Crank it up until the halo is gone.

Most reactions

Back