New to the forums; a few pictures (Multiple subjects).

cheapLEY

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
cheapley.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all! I'm new here to the forums. I'm a freshman in college, and I've just completed a semester of a Digital Photography course. I'm looking for some opinions, and keep in mind, this semester is the first time I'd ever picked up a camera (Mine is a Sony Cybershot DSC-W55 7.2 megapixels.).

2101707741_04403d4cd9_o.jpg

2101716797_7748675d98_b.jpg

2102496622_cac79b9b39_b.jpg
2101715589_c0d78e93e8_o.jpg

2101707825_de0556cf29_o.jpg

All comments are appreciated!

Welcome to TPF.

I like the ladder. The shadows are working well for you.

I like them a lot! But you want opinions and here goes...

The spring simply doesn't do much for me, not that it's a bad shot. I understand the texture/color/dof field thing you were after. It is a crisp shot, just not too interesting as a stand alone shot. BUT, I do a lot of "stock" photos for print advertising and people use this stuff all the time (usually with text written all over it). Funny thing is that the harness and rope photo has the same stock qualities but I like it better than the spring. I still wouldn't hang it on the wall as a stand alone shot but it is a good photo. They would make a good series on industry if you can blend in the theme (but it might be hard being one is very much the metallic item and the other is non-metallic).

I know what you're going for in the sunset/grass photo but I'd like to see either more black (silhouette) from the grass or more definite color from it. The almost seeing those colors were a bit off for me.

Last (from me); the ladder/building thing. Personally, I would crop the sky completely out of it but not to cut off the other ladder in the window (or what ever that area is). I would like people viewing it, if it were mine, to wonder where the ladders are leading. We know "up or down" obviously, but "How far up or down"? Also, I think this shot would make a great B&W or colorized (monochrome) photo.

Don't get me wrong. I love them all. This comment is only from a personal prospective.

I just realized that is a shoe... not a harness. I feel like half an idiot. I still like it.

I like them a lot! But you want opinions and here goes...

The spring simply doesn't do much for me, not that it's a bad shot. I understand the texture/color/dof field thing you were after. It is a crisp shot, just not too interesting as a stand alone shot. BUT, I do a lot of "stock" photos for print advertising and people use this stuff all the time (usually with text written all over it). Funny thing is that the harness and rope photo has the same stock qualities but I like it better than the spring. I still wouldn't hang it on the wall as a stand alone shot but it is a good photo. They would make a good series on industry if you can blend in the theme (but it might be hard being one is very much the metallic item and the other is non-metallic).

I know what you're going for in the sunset/grass photo but I'd like to see either more black (silhouette) from the grass or more definite color from it. The almost seeing those colors were a bit off for me.

Last (from me); the ladder/building thing. Personally, I would crop the sky completely out of it but not to cut off the other ladder in the window (or what ever that area is). I would like people viewing it, if it were mine, to wonder where the ladders are leading. We know "up or down" obviously, but "How far up or down"? Also, I think this shot would make a great B&W or colorized (monochrome) photo.

Don't get me wrong. I love them all. This comment is only from a personal prospective.

I just realized that is a shoe... not a harness. I feel like half an idiot. I still like it.

I was just gonna say....it's a shoe...lmfao

I like em...you do have some skill, I'll say that.

Thanks for the comments!

And as for the stock photography comment . . . I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm actually majoring in Graphic Design, and it's good, I think, that I will be able to take my own shots, rather than having to pay to use someone else's.

And I actually do have a version of that ladder without the sky, I just didn't really label them appropriately when I saved it, and I can never remember which is which. I never thought about making it black and white, though; I'll have to try that.

EDIT: Did a quick Photoshop edit to make the ladder black and white. I could spend more time on it, but you get the idea.

2102637352_64453c3e3b_o.jpg

I like it (and yup... spend some time with it to tweak those levels - it's a little on the dark side... but you knew that!)

btw... nothing wrong with stock stuff. there are companies that are getting richer all the time from them.

David

I actually thought about cropping the picture from the bottom rather than the top - the diagonal shadows are great, and (combined with the sharp angles of the top of the wall) draw your attention to the curve in the ladder - the one real curve in the picture. My immediate question was "what happened to that ladder to make it curved?" (Which is a great thing, I think -- it grabbed attention and raised interest.)

But then in the bottom you get a sort of shadow blob, and more ladder curves that I think are too much. I think the top 2/3rds on their own are a great picture.

Overall I thought that fourth shot was fantastic. (The other three were good - good use of depth of field - but I didn't really think much more than "oh, a spring," "oh, a shoe," and "oh, a remote." That's not to say that they're at all bad -- they're not -- just that they lacked the punch and interest of the fourth picture.)

the last 2 are nice shots, second one is way out of focus it looks very funky, and i like u cause ur location states u like pink floyd :) lol

wow, that Sony has some good macro capabilities.

pictures look great, not to be lazy but I agreed with everything dpolston said so just <insert what he said here>

Most reactions

New Topics

Back