New to the forums and photography

Reichpapers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings to everyone. I'd like to start by saying that this forum has been a good source of information for me over the last few weeks. I hope to learn much more as time goes by.

A bit of history:

In the past, I've had little time or patience to get into photography. I've had a few SLR's over the years (film), but never learned how to properly use them off of Auto. A few months back I purchased the D60 to take with on an upcoming deployment to Kuwait. I toyed around with it for a while before deciding on upgrading to the D90. I know, I was far from being at a point where I could justify the upgrade. I liked the larger frame, additional focal points, bigger LCD (with cover) and the ability to use older lenses. The D60 went to my wife, who promptly complained that she would rather have a point and shoot. I have a bad habit of over accesorizing when it comes to my interests. For example: I've also purchased an array of items to go with the D90, like the SB-600 Speedlight, MB-D80 battery pack and a Manfrotto tripod/head. I've also accumulated a few of the inexpensive lenses:

AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED ($550 display model at BB)
AF Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4-5.6G
AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G
AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D

I'm currently waiting on a package with a shutter remote and a Slingshot 300AW bag..I managed to outgrow my 200 already.

I've recently moved away from using auto and have concentrated on shooting in Manual.:thumbup: It's been a crap shoot at best. :meh: I started by taking 15-20 shots in the environment I plan to shoot in, then picked the settings that looked good in my eyes. I've a good grasp on the relation between aperature priority, shutter speed. This is moreso in relation to what they do and how I adjust them (what the numbers mean.etc..). I'm just bad at using them to make a good picture. As of yesterday, I learned about the light meter that is visible through the viewfinder...I was like..WTF, how did I not know about that. If I understand things correctly, I just need to adjust between my SP, AP and ISO to get the meter to 0 for a medium exposure... White balance is still ify. I know there are presets and manually shifting that k number (i.e. 5000k) up or down changes the photo from orange to blue hued. ISO is still a mystery. I have no idea when I need to adjust it. :blushing:

Though I have much to learn, I never dreamed of leaving the auto button behind. Hopefully I can someday turn my horrible pictures into something nice.

Lastly, I am currently in Kuwait, where clear skies are rare and dusty haze is the norm. I also work in a restricted area, so my camera testing is restricted to a room bathed in flourescent light. It is dark before I get back to camp, so I am limited then too.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back