new to the hobby

pixelss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I been surfing this section for some time now, looking for the best camera that will fit me ( budget ). i'm a beginner.

seem that people with more experience recommend the canon XSI or 40d for beginners. but i don't have preference over any brand, just looking for best bang for my money.

i can get the the XSI for with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS for $495.49 ( used - like new )
or the 40d for $512 just the body ( used - good condition )

Also seem the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS is the lens for learning and better fit for beginners.

What you guys think? i want something good from the get go. :thumbup:

Last edited:
At woot.com there is a Pentax K-x with lens for $440. It will probably be gone soon - today or tomorrow. Also check dealnews.com day and night for a great deal.

About the "kit" 18-55 lens. It's fine for learning. Mainly it's an economical lens with a very useful normal range.

Don't feel pressured to buy the first great deal you find. There will be another and another.

At woot.com there is a Pentax K-x with lens for $440. It will probably be gone soon - today or tomorrow. Also check dealnews.com day and night for a great deal.

About the "kit" 18-55 lens. It's fine for learning. Mainly it's an economical lens with a very useful normal range.

Don't feel pressured to buy the first great deal you find. There will be another and another.

thank you for the sites, i will be checking those sites all night hehehe.

whatever body i end up buying, i will get the 18-55 lens for now, learn and save for better glass.

dealnews does change fro time to time. woot actually changes every midnight but the pentax is in a side / sellout section, so I really don't know about that. seems like I went back and found something there like a day or two later. Have fun.

I use canon myself so that being said, the sxi is a great starter camera, but by far not the only one. if you can go to a camera store/wal-mart/target what ever and try one out and any nikon, sony or what ever they have. see how it fits your hand, try the menu play with the controlls. after that you will have a better idea on what will feel best for you then go buy the used modle for less. it is always better to get more then you need and grow in to it then to replace it in a year or less.

it is always better to get more than you need and grow in to it than to replace it in a year or less.

I like that advice.

Yes, agree, Actually i did go to walmart and bestbuy to try the canon 30d, Xt, xsi , 30d and nikon d90 ( i like the 720 HD video option ) nikon d3100 , d3000.
I will be honest guys, i cannot tell what options in the menus if is for the "pro's" or just the beginners. now, i can tell the difference between cameras as for the better fit on my hand.
So for teh people with more experience than me, tell me " i recommend you this camera __, because you can use its features in the future, after you learn more about the hobby" and i don't have to upgrade , just because some features are not present.

I was the same when I first bought my camera. I wanted something for beginners, but not the most basic one. Although if you're just starting, even the most basic DSLR will leave you learning for quite a bit of time. Most companies have "that camera" that comes after the cheapest one. For example, the D5000,D3100 in Nikon. The T1i, T2i for Canon. The A-390 for Sony...and so on.

As a Canon user (can't speak for the others) if you have very little camera know how and don’t need video the sxi would be what I would recommend. If you want the video the t2i would be second. If you have ether camera they can go full auto to full manual and many setting between. Auto will let you feel it in your hands and show you what it can do then as you learn and read (do lots of reading – user manual, mags & photo books) then you can venture from auto until you can go full manual then up graded body.

If you get any of the canon rebel body’s I would recommend the 18-55mm kit lens and its sister 55-250mm and a 430exII to start with, but remember when you up-grade these are EF-S lenses and will not work on some of Canons higher standard (full frame) Body’s

Thank you guys for the advises.

I can get the Canon XSi with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens for $489.0 ( used - like new )
and the Nikon D3100 with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens $539

now, do you guys think for $100 more the Canon T1i 15.1 with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens is worth getting.

Any entry level DSLR will be more than adequate for a beginner. They are all capable of taking great pics once you learn your way around an SLR. The choice you need to make is what company you want to be married to. Once you buy a cam, some glass, a speed light, etc., it's really not cost effective to switch to another brand. Lenses and speed lights you will keep to use on your body upgrade. The adage is "good glass lasts forever, a body not so much". The only advice I would give is that Canon and Nikon have their own extensive line of lenses as well as extensive third party support. Sony, Pentax, etc., are not nearly as well supported by third party manufacturers, nor do they have as extensive lines of their own.

thank you guys, after much reading in this section of the forum and similar question to mine, i went with a canon t1i with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens and 4GB SD Card + USB SD Card Reader + Camera Case + MINI Tripod+ Premium Lens Cleaning Kit.

Most reactions

Back