New to the Photography World

NikonFM10

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all, I just bought a Nikon FM10. I'm so excited and I cant wait to use it. Since there are so many different types and brands of film, I'm not really sure which ones to buy. I do know that I would like to use black and white film as well as color. The same goes for lenses as well. I know that I can use All Nikkor AF-D, AI-P, AF-I, AI-S and AF-S lenses but I haven't a clue on which one I should buy if I do go to buy one. My camera is coming with a Zoom Nikkor 35-70mm f/3.5-4.8 lens so that will be the only one I will have when it arrives. I really could use some advice from all the photography people out there. All of your help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the site, and congrats on your camera! I hope you have a blast with it:) I don't have much advice to give you as I'm a newbie myself and plus I'm going the digital route instead of the film route... but I figured I'd bump this for you! If you don't get any responses here, try posting this under the film discussion section (If you haven't already that is, I haven't looked.)

As your just starting out I would go for the cheapest you can find, learning with film can be a costly experience, cheap black and white film would be the best choice, then you could buy an instruction book, a developing tank and chemical pack then dev and scan your own negs, its pretty easy once you've done 1 and only takes an hour start to finish. This will save a fortune on processing while you learn, have fun, I used to love doing my own film and hand printing in the darkroom, sadly we now have this crap to put up with. H

Film has it's own unique properties that make them slightly different then another.
Back in the day, there was a lot of variety.
If you deal with a good Photography retailer they will most likely sell Color Negative, B+W Negative, and Color Slide films ... they might also sell professional film versions also.

I would suggest Kodak Gold 200 as a 'starter film'. It's got a nice overall colour rendition, is not too saturated (as is Fuji's Velvia) and 200 ASA is fast enough for most situations, but slow enough that you'll be able to make some nice prints if you want.

Most reactions

Back