New to the site. Professional fashion / portrait photographer saying hey.

Bartley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all.

Looking forward to interacting with you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, notice my post has been edited and everything I put has been cut off, just wondering if there are forum rules around so I can figure out why. Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the site Bartley, I wasn't the one that edited your post and in general we don't have any problems with users linking to their own website to show off their work; many users have such links in their signatures without worries.

We do try to avoid people "user harvesting" or "click harvesting" at times - most often in the article section (where we require users to post their entire own written articles to the forums as well as link to their own website if they wish); or if we suspect that a user is trying to advertise through their post. This doesn't appear to be the case for yourself so it might be that you've just got caught in some crossfire. It doesn't count as any punishment toward you and a simple link, such as to your imgur, in your signature should be fine and we hope to see more of your photography in teh galleries.

Hi Bartley: As I explained to you in the edit note I sent, you had cross-posted virtually the same thread in 2-3 different forums, all within 30 minutes of each other. While the one thread in the Welcomes forum was perfectly ok as a new member, you came to the attention of a few of the moderators rather quickly with your other similar threads. For clarification, here are the relevant TPF guidelines:
* Spamming is not tolerated. Do not cross-post messages in multiple forums in an effort to gain attention.

* Should it be obvious by your signature or posting style that you are here only to promote your business or product, you may receive a warning or possibly be banned. It is permissible for active, involved members to post links to their personal or business web sites - however, they may not include links that can be perceived as marketing for personal gain or profit (such as linking to your site if you are Amazon affiliate links or similar) from the TPF Community, or taking advantage of TPF's SEO.

Overread is correct about linking to your web site; it's something that should only be placed in your signature, as long as everything else in your posting style stays within the guidelines. The rest of the TPF Guidelines can be found here. Thanks!

Hi Bartley: As I explained to you in the edit note I sent, you had cross-posted virtually the same thread in 2-3 different forums, all within 30 minutes of each other. While the one thread in the Welcomes forum was perfectly ok as a new member, you came to the attention of a few of the moderators rather quickly with your other similar threads. For clarification, here are the relevant TPF guidelines:
* Spamming is not tolerated. Do not cross-post messages in multiple forums in an effort to gain attention.

* Should it be obvious by your signature or posting style that you are here only to promote your business or product, you may receive a warning or possibly be banned. It is permissible for active, involved members to post links to their personal or business web sites - however, they may not include links that can be perceived as marketing for personal gain or profit (such as linking to your site if you are Amazon affiliate links or similar) from the TPF Community, or taking advantage of TPF's SEO.

Overread is correct about linking to your web site; it's something that should only be placed in your signature, as long as everything else in your posting style stays within the guidelines. The rest of the TPF Guidelines can be found here. Thanks!

Hey Terri,

Thanks for the clarification. I only posted across the three forums because I'm new and wanted to introduce myself to the two relevant communities I operate in (professional and portrait) and then just a general one in the new member section. I'm sorry that you felt that was an attempt for me to promote my business, I can assure you that attention from a online forum like this has absolutely zero impact on my business whatsoever and that wasn't my intent.

Not sure this community is really for me if I'm accused of that on day one really so I'll be off.

Best of luck with the site.

Thom

Hey Terri,

Thanks for the clarification. I only posted across the three forums because I'm new and wanted to introduce myself to the two relevant communities I operate in (professional and portrait) and then just a general one in the new member section. I'm sorry that you felt that was an attempt for me to promote my business, I can assure you that attention from a online forum like this has absolutely zero impact on my business whatsoever and that wasn't my intent.

Not sure this community is really for me if I'm accused of that on day one really so I'll be off.

Thom
Thanks! We actually do very well here. Sorry to see you get in a huff over having site guidelines pointed out while editing identical threads - which is all that has happened. You weren't "accused" of anything - the rules were merely shown to you here! ;) No harm, no foul.

Hey Terri,

Thom
Thanks! We actually do very well here. Sorry to see you get in a huff over having site guidelines pointed out while editing identical threads - which is all that has happened. You weren't "accused" of anything - the rules were merely shown to you here! ;) No harm, no foul.

No huff! I'm just not a fan of this kind of the moderation style but obviously you're the boss here and it's up to you how you run the place, I thought I was polite throughout and just felt that posting two guidelines that were "relevant" to my post that state that "spamming" and "you are only here to promote your business" were banned inferred that that's what you thought I was doing.

Thanks anyways.

Right - what you've quoted was not directed at you personally - it's been in the TPF guidelines for years. If we see cross-posting of identical threads within the first 30 minutes of signing in, complete with links to your site, it's easy to think you're here for self-promotion only. The mods are here to enforce the site guidelines - and that means the occasional clean-up, and making sure new members are aware when they're tripping over some guidelines. That's all that happened here. I don't own the site; none of us on the mod team do. But when you joined you agreed to the guidelines, whether you read them or not - easy to skip over, which may lead to occasionally having them pointed out. ;)

So, please don't take offense at this place for having a mod team that is doing its job. Settle in, post more of your work - and have fun with it! That's all we ask of from any of our members.

Bartley said:

Thom

Looks like he's already decided to leave?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back