new to this

ckboucher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok, so i may sound like a complete idiot asking this question here...but!!
How do I get my signature/logo on my pics?

and I have been asked to do my first wedding. so any tips of the trade you guys want to share...I am open to any thing.

thanks!!

Kim

lol...first wedding? Ok, lets deal with the easy stuff.

Signature can be created in the User CP. Its a few clicks left of New Posts in the menu bar.

First wedding? What is your shooting experience?
What gear do you have, specifically fast lenses (zooms and primes), strobes,...?
How experienced are you with off camera flash or bouncing a flash?
Are you charging for this?
Are you alone or shooting with someone?

Tips of the trade would be ensure you can shoot properly in low light conditions.
Make sure you can nail a sharp exposure each time you click the shutter as some moments, you will only have 1 click to get it right.
Make sure you have reliable memory and backups.
Make sure you have backup gear, the worse thing that can happen is your gear breaks down and you are stuck with nothing.
Do not use your popup flash, it makes pictures look horrible.

lol...first wedding? Ok, lets deal with the easy stuff.

Signature can be created in the User CP. Its a few clicks left of New Posts in the menu bar.

First wedding? What is your shooting experience?
I just recently started shooting friends for practice. I did one maternity shoot a couple months ago.

What gear do you have, specifically fast lenses (zooms and primes), strobes,...?
not much gear yet. I just started so i have a Nikon D70 and photoshop elements...that's it. :er:

I'm not yet. the weddings in march so I can learn before then...help?

Are you charging for this?
No! free...since i am learning.

Are you alone or shooting with someone?
well she just asked me today...so I am alone.

Tips of the trade would be ensure you can shoot properly in low light conditions.
Make sure you can nail a sharp exposure each time you click the shutter as some moments, you will only have 1 click to get it right.
Make sure you have reliable memory and backups.
Make sure you have backup gear, the worse thing that can happen is your gear breaks down and you are stuck with nothing.
Do not use your popup flash, it makes pictures look horrible.

thanks for the tips. I so appreciate it!! I answered your questions with in the txt!!
thanks again!!!!!!

I'm not yet. the weddings in march so I can learn before then...help?

As an absolute minimum, you better have a fast zoom (70-200mm f/2.8 is a common recommendation), a wide-angle lens, tripod and speedlight. That list alone will run you a lot of dough. You have some time to work with so focus on on-camera flash techniques (there are books specifically on this) assuming you get a speedlight, not to mention the plethora of other basic skills, like controlling dof to make a flattering portrait, taking sharp pictures, managing color, basic editing, etc. There's a ton of material out there focused on weddings in the form of books, blogs, etc. not to mention more general material on basic photo skills. Start working your way through it, focusing on one skill at a time. Taking sharp pictures would be a decent starting point if you're not certain you have it down.

You don't need to spend a lot of money. I get weary of replies that just lay out a laundry list of expensive gear to buy.

I did a couple weddings with a Nikon D-50 and 2 common ordinary and not very good Sigma lenses and just the on board flash. The equipment helps but it is the photographer that either gets the shots or don't. I could probably do an entire wedding with my 12-24mm lens only.

My gear now is all I need for any wedding anywhere.
Nikon D-90 with kit 18-105mm lens
Tokina 12-24mm wide lens
SB-400 Flash
Polarizer filter

Tips:

I take about 2000-3000 shots for the rehearsal, wedding and couple of receptions. 20-30% make the final cut. The point is take a lot of photos my experience is only 20-30% make it. PULL THE TRIGGER A LOT!

I use auto everything almost always. Occasionally I will go to macro, manual focus or something else. Countless hours of engineering went into the D-90 auto modes and I rarely have to exit auto - because it works.

Include extra in each shot. It is too hard to get it right the first time. Trim and straighten later. And sure enough there is a composition to be cropped out that I did not see when I took the shot. The priceless expression on the kid etc.

Look at the file sizes after cropping and compare to online charts as to what size prints can be made per that size. Rarely do mine get too small. I can and do crop 2 or 3 separate compositions out of the same wide angle photo with my 12 megapixel camera.

Watch for action, activity, movement and get into position for what may happen. Ignore the belly up to the bar, firmly rooted in the chair types. Be ready at all times when there is movement. This includes the official speaking. I get wonderful shots of the Bride busting out a smile because of the words the official said. Talking is movement to pay attention to.
What this does for you: The brother of a bride watched me all night (everyone else also) near 10pm he said "your are just always in the right place at the right time aren't you" I said yeah, I try to be.

I shoot the standard poses because some people expect them and will say you screwed up if the shots are "wrong"

I also hold the camera at ground level and as high over my head as I can. I take photos of others taking photos. While they are taking photos I scoot to the side and get an angle shot of the party that they are photographing. Straight on, high and low.
I introduce as many angles as I possibly can. Look at TV and print. They frequently use these angles. Again I use a wider lens and straighten and trim later. I review each shot to see if I had a good guesstimate aim but I don't worry about crookedness.

I don't too much direct the posing. They know what is going on and pretty much get it all together. Then brief get tighter or what ever is all that is needed.
Somethings that I do to get them loosened up after the first couple of posed serious shots is say OK now on 3 everyone give me your best goofy, ugly or weird face. 1,2,3, THEN click on 4. Note, don't click on three do it on the silent 4.
I then declare that so and so won by having the best! It don't matter who, just someone who made a face. I do this a couple times spaced out.
I also say OK guys this is the best bride you have ever seen besides yours. So on 3 give me a thumbs up and tell Bill (or who ever) way to go Bill! 1,2,3 click on 4.
By this time everyone is loose and on board. The women mostly don't respond well to the best groom ever seen thing so no need to do it for them.

Photograph the details. Like the sign going into town with the town name on it, the address sign of the facility. As well as getting the big picture stuff.

The Post processing is where the greatness is achieved. I spend more time processing than I do shooting. It is necessary.

Were you asking about watermarks on your Photos?

I think that is what he was asking about. So to answer the question puttting a watermark on your photos can be done in most photo editing software.

Yeah, that's what I got from what he posted.

Any who, I use Lightroom (3).

You don't need to spend a lot of money. I get weary of replies that just lay out a laundry list of expensive gear to buy.

I did a couple weddings with a Nikon D-50 and 2 common ordinary and not very good Sigma lenses and just the on board flash. The equipment helps but it is the photographer that either gets the shots or don't. I could probably do an entire wedding with my 12-24mm lens only.

I somewhat agree.. the photographer is what makes the difference. The gear is something that helps the workflow and makes things easier, cleaner. Its not essential.

However, when someone is asking questions about what gear, have no flash experience and dont seem to understand basics of light, then I assume that they need all the help they can get.

I'm sure a pro can take a Canon rebel camera and a cheap flash and come out with some great results. But they are a pro and have the skills, knowledge and experience.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back