New to tpf from cincinnati

dpollard1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, Im a beginner photographer. I've had my camera since 2007, and last May of 2010, I started photographing people other than my own children. Im trying to get myself out there in the "professional world." Im planning to upgrade my camera to a 5d mark ii from a canon 30d in a few months, and hopefully that will give me the edge I need to build up a great portfolio so I can acheive a "professional" title. My goal for 2011 is to gain a professional photographer certificate and to have a website. Looking foward to gaining more knowledge and to helping in anyway I can to other beginners!!

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know exactly what market you're looking to break into (and I'm not a 'pro'), but I'm not all that sure that some 'certificate' is going to mean much to clients.

As long as you have a solid portfolio (and can do that level of work reliably), nobody is going to care what certifications you may or may not have.

Now, if that is just a by-product of some classes you might want to take, so be it. I wouldn't worry too much about having some piece of paper to hang on the wall though. It might impress a few clients, but a solid portfolio will impress more.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know exactly what market you're looking to break into (and I'm not a 'pro'), but I'm not all that sure that some 'certificate' is going to mean much to clients.

As long as you have a solid portfolio (and can do that level of work reliably), nobody is going to care what certifications you may or may not have.

Now, if that is just a by-product of some classes you might want to take, so be it. I wouldn't worry too much about having some piece of paper to hang on the wall though. It might impress a few clients, but a solid portfolio will impress more.

Thanks! :) I was thinking that if I had the certificate from ppa, that it would be easier for me to get client work? Im really just trying to fill in all the blanks of photography :)

Now, if you plan on working for some agency or corporation or something - it might be different. That little piece of paper might mean something to them.

It all depends on what it is you want to do.

Thanks! :) I was thinking that if I had the certificate from ppa, that it would be easier for me to get client work? Im really just trying to fill in all the blanks of photography :)
If you're looking to work for yourself shooting portraits or weddings or something, all they're really going to care about is how good you are.

If you have the skill, you can do it without the certificate. Some type of certificate might help for some jobs, but I think that's the difference...

If you want a 'job' working for someone else, they might like to see some education behind your work. If you're going to be working for yourself, a solid portfolio is all you really need. If your work is good, it will speak for you.

edit
If it will take some schooling to build a solid portfolio, by all means - do that. You just have to asses where you are, where you want to be, and how you're going to get there.

Hello! I am in the Cincinnati Area and love to learn from others. I dont just generalize in one thing. I like all photography. I want to improve on my wedding skills and upgrade to a full frame camera... I am having problems saving the money to do so though. It seems like when I start getting money saved I need new tires, or an extra bill comes up. lol

Most reactions

Back