New to TPF, Questions!

aBanerjee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello! I'm looking forward to spending more time with this community as I gradually get back into photography.

I took photography for 2 1/2 years when I was in high school. I'm currently a junior in college and I want to get back into it.

I was gifted a Nikon N80, but the problem is that film and paper are very expensive and the process is incredibly time consuming. I have a large courseload and I don't have the time to really spend on developing film and hanging around enlargers all day. I still would like to explore film photography so I have no intention of selling my N80, but I would like to make the shift and purchase a DSLR.

Now, I am limited to Nikon because I already have a Nikon lens. I'm currently looking at the D40 but I'm wondering if I should shell out the extra cash and get a D40x, would that be worth it? I am essentially limited by price and I'm currently leaning towards the D40 because they are considerably cheaper (on eBay).

Furthermore, how would I know if my lens would be compatible with the D40(x)? And would features like auto-focus work? I don't know much about the lens itself, so how would I find out details about it?

- Aditya

Hello! I'm looking forward to spending more time with this community as I gradually get back into photography.

I took photography for 2 1/2 years when I was in high school. I'm currently a junior in college and I want to get back into it.

I was gifted a Nikon N80, but the problem is that film and paper are very expensive and the process is incredibly time consuming. I have a large courseload and I don't have the time to really spend on developing film and hanging around enlargers all day. I still would like to explore film photography so I have no intention of selling my N80, but I would like to make the shift and purchase a DSLR.

Now, I am limited to Nikon because I already have a Nikon lens. I'm currently looking at the D40 but I'm wondering if I should shell out the extra cash and get a D40x, would that be worth it? I am essentially limited by price and I'm currently leaning towards the D40 because they are considerably cheaper (on eBay).

Furthermore, how would I know if my lens would be compatible with the D40(x)? And would features like auto-focus work? I don't know much about the lens itself, so how would I find out details about it?

- Aditya

As far as I'm aware, the only difference between the 40 and the 40X is that the "X" has more pixels. Regarding autofocus, an "AF-S" lens is required. An "AF" lens must be focused manually.

Scorates is correct, and the new yet to be released D60 is very similar to the D40X with a few added features.

I chose to go with the D40 over the D40x because it is unlikely that I will be able to afford to print any of my shots larger than 8x10, so why should I spend extra money to get the ability to print larger than that?

The D40 is a great camera and I have not regretted my decision.

Also, it should be noted that the d40 can sink with a flash at 1/500th of a second i believe and the d40x can not. Pretty sure on that but correct me if im wrong.

You could look for a used D50 or D70. That would be much better.

Nikon D40 would sound much better than a film camera, it's less time consuming and you can see the pic before you make it.

I understand that you're forced to get a Nikon because of your lens, but I don't understand why Nikons are so great. If I had to recommend a brand, I would tell them to get an Olympus. Lol

If the lens you had for your N80 is an "AF-S" lens then the D40 is a great choice. if not, it'll still work on a D40, but you won't have autofocus as the others correctly pointed out. Due to the crop factor of digital changing your angle of view vs focal length compared to film, you might want to get a different lens anyways depending on what you plan to photograph.

I chose to go with the D40 over the D40x because it is unlikely that I will be able to afford to print any of my shots larger than 8x10, so why should I spend extra money to get the ability to print larger than that?
I've made 20 x 30" prints off of my D40 and they still look awesome! :mrgreen:

Also, it should be noted that the d40 can sink with a flash at 1/500th of a second i believe and the d40x can not. Pretty sure on that but correct me if im wrong.
Correct, and that's also one of my favorite D40 features. :) The D40x and new D60 only do 1/200s, which if you're trying to fill in shadows in daylight, just plain stinks. If I have my daughter on a swing during the day which can have a deep shadow on her face, I take my D40 to the park and leave my D80 sitting at home because of this.

I understand that you're forced to get a Nikon because of your lens, but I don't understand why Nikons are so great. If I had to recommend a brand, I would tell them to get an Olympus. Lol
what's so great about Olympus? :mrgreen: (I'm serious. I don't know much about the Olympus system but would love to learn more. :) )

Most reactions

Back