New toys for my AE-1P setup

Valethar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I did some creative bidding on eBay this past week, and came up with some new additions to my (previously) anemic 35mm SLR setup. Most of this came from one owner, who was liquidating his rig to move up to digital.

What do you think. Steal, deal, or did I get taken?

Canon AE-1 P - $49.69
Canon 50mm f1.8 w 1984 Olympics Cap - $13.05
Vivitar Series 1 one 28-90mm f2.8-3.5 macro zoom - $36.00
Vivitar Series 1 one 70-210mm f3.5 - $15.01
Kalimar 35-140mm f3.5 macro zoom lens - $2.25
Sunpak auto 422 D - $10.00
CPC 28-50mm f3.5-4.5 macro zoom lens - $16.50
Tiffen Multi-image 3D - $5.53
Vivitar 5R multi-image filter - $1.10
Promaster Spectrum 7 Close-up lens kit (1X, 2X & 4X magnification) - $5.50

The Kalimar has some slight fogging when you look through the rear, but for $3, I figured even if it can't be repaired, it's no great loss.

So, I did some creative bidding on eBay this past week, and came up with some new additions to my (previously) anemic 35mm SLR setup. Most of this came from one owner, who was liquidating his rig to move up to digital.

What do you think. Steal, deal, or did I get taken?

Canon AE-1 P - $49.69
Canon 50mm f1.8 w 1984 Olympics Cap - $13.05
Vivitar Series 1 one 28-90mm f2.8-3.5 macro zoom - $36.00
Vivitar Series 1 one 70-210mm f3.5 - $15.01
Kalimar 35-140mm f3.5 macro zoom lens - $2.25
Sunpak auto 422 D - $10.00
CPC 28-50mm f3.5-4.5 macro zoom lens - $16.50
Tiffen Multi-image 3D - $5.53
Vivitar 5R multi-image filter - $1.10
Promaster Spectrum 7 Close-up lens kit (1X, 2X & 4X magnification) - $5.50

The Kalimar has some slight fogging when you look through the rear, but for $3, I figured even if it can't be repaired, it's no great loss.
If it's in decent shape the 50mm 1.8 was a bargain and a half. $50.00 is about the going rate on one in 9+ to mint condition. I've got a 50mm 1.4 and a 50mm 1.8. Really like them. Not too sure about the non Canon stuff, every lens I have is Canon, and 4 Canon bodies. But I'd say the Sunpak auto was a steal too. My flash was shot, and I got a mint in box Canon 299T. Think I paid about $40 for it. They usually go for half that, but this was New Old Stock, so I was happy to pop the 40 for it.

J.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I snooped around on the web a bit, and apparently the Vivitar Series 1 lenses can go for quite a bit more (usually around $50-70+) so I think maybe I got lucky all around. :D

The 50mm is in great shape. I went after that one specifically, because my first AE-1 P had that exact lens, so it was part nostalgia, partly a great price for the lens. All I have to do now is find a good deal on a f1.4, as I understand it's very good in low light situations.

The only thing I consider a problem with the lot is that the body didn't come with the rings to attach the strap to. I need to see if I can find a pair of the triangular ones, or failing that, find a pair of very small keyrings or something so I can put a strap on this one.

Incidentally, I ran across a
50mm f3.5 macro lens and FD25 extension tube for under $100, so I bought that one too. Most of the others I saw were either piecemeal, or running almost $200 for the set, so it appeared to be a good deal. I've bought from the guy before, so I'm confident it will be in good shape.

Decided to splurge and buy myself something for my birthday, hehe.

I snooped around on the web a bit, and apparently the Vivitar Series 1 lenses can go for quite a bit more (usually around $50-70+) so I think maybe I got lucky all around. :D

The 50mm is in great shape. I went after that one specifically, because my first AE-1 P had that exact lens, so it was part nostalgia, partly a great price for the lens. All I have to do now is find a good deal on a f1.4, as I understand it's very good in low light situations.

The only thing I consider a problem with the lot is that the body didn't come with the rings to attach the strap to. I need to see if I can find a pair of the triangular ones, or failing that, find a pair of very small keyrings or something so I can put a strap on this one.

Incidentally, I ran across a 50mm f3.5 macro lens and FD25 extension tube for under $100, so I bought that one too. Most of the others I saw were either piecemeal, or running almost $200 for the set, so it appeared to be a good deal. I've bought from the guy before, so I'm confident it will be in good shape.

Decided to splurge and buy myself something for my birthday, hehe.
A f/1.4 with the S.S.C coated lens can go for over $200 depending on condition. I really don't see a huge difference in performance having used both 50mm lenses on different bodies, simultaniously. Grab one if you must, but had I not already had a mint one that I bought new, I would spend my money elsewhere.

J:mrgreen:

I had an FD 50mm f1.8 ... and then an FD 50mm f1.4 and an FD 50mm f1.4 SSC.

I can say that the FD 50mm f.14 is the better lens over the other two.
The SSC was not as sharp and was much larger/heavier.
I noticed a difference over the f1.8.

The Vivitar Series 1 was one of the better series that they made.

I had an FD 50mm f1.8 ... and then an FD 50mm f1.4 and an FD 50mm f1.4 SSC.

I can say that the FD 50mm f.14 is the better lens over the other two.
The SSC was not as sharp and was much larger/heavier.
I noticed a difference over the f1.8.

The Vivitar Series 1 was one of the better series that they made.

I didn't mean to imply that the FD F1.4, SSC was not somewhat better, just not worth the difference that I paid for it. At least in my opinion.
J.:mrgreen:

In total agreement with everyone else, the Vivitar Series 1's were a steal.

Canon AE-1 and it's program cousin usually run around $50 on eBay and maybe $20-25 more on Craigslist, but most of those include at least one lense (low-range zoom or the 50mm 1.8). If it is in good working condition, it is well worth it. Had to trade a computer to get mine.

Not a big fan of Vivitar/SunPak flashes after using some Canon flashes, but for $10, you will get valuable usage from it.

On the Kalimar 35-140mm f3.5 macro zoom lens, you might try what I did (as posted on this topic: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/test-forum/185479-lens-work.html). If you want to ship it to me, I can try to do this for you without guarentee and you can decide if you want it back after it's been used to take some shots.

As to the CPC lens, you'll just have to try that one out. And when you can buy any filter for around a dollar, you are doing pretty well. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back