New type of brolly - snake oil?

It makes perfect sense! It takes a patented tri-colored umbrella to scream "PRO"! Actually, it's a red herring. That umbrella is really a prototype for a OLED light source, which can be tuned to emit any temperature light you would want to have. No need for diffusers, gels, etc. And the variable depth to the umbrella gives the ability to focus the beam at specific distances. Now THAT may be the sleeper of the year...

You could get the same effect by making an tri-colour (red, blue, green) gel strip for your flash and using a white brolly. I don't see the point, the camera sensor doesn't need to be helped like that.

Insert P.T. Barum quote here: "_____'_ _ ______ ____ _____ ______."

Be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison, but unless someone walks up to me and hands me a free one, I doubt I'll be adding one to the stable.

If that works, then why are umbrellas even white in the first place? Why not grey? From a distance, that thing kind of looks grey anyway...

If that works, then why are umbrellas even white in the first place? Why not grey? From a distance, that thing kind of looks grey anyway...

Now look whatcha' just went and done did...the potential market for that thing was just cut in HALF after you posted that!!!

"Ssssssshhhh!"

Dont camera sensors block out everything other than RGB anyway?

Will probably cost too much anyway.. I'll be sticking to my conventional modifiers.

This seems like it'll be a gigantic waste of money. After all, if it worked so well, why didn't someone else figure this out years ago? It's not like digital camera technology is THAT new.

It's just a WILDLY inefficient umbrella.

Most of the surface is reflecting only a fraction of the light that hits it. While it might be legitimately shaping the color of the light, it's doing it by throwing lots of it away. 1/3 of it throws away most of the red and the blue. Another third throws away most of the green and red, and the last third throws away most of the green and blue.

It makes zero sense that I can see.

Most reactions

Back