New, wanting to get started

Bassplayer05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new in photography, I recently inherited a really nice camera from my great uncle, and have always thought photography was cool. Ironically, I was playing Deadrising (Great game) and the photography aspect got me thinking that maybe I could take amateur pictures for my local newspaper. Any ideas on how to get started? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum.

A good way to get into the paper might be to call the editor (or someone) and ask them what their requirements are for submission...any then ask them for any tips on what they might be looking for.

What kind of camera did you inherit?

Ah, not nice by professional standards, but nice by mine, I hate the little digital cameras, I have a pretty old (early ninety's maybe?) Mamiya, uses film, no digital stuff. I'd like to upgrade it some if I end up making money.

Bassplayer05 said:
Ah, not nice by professional standards, but nice by mine, I hate the little digital cameras, I have a pretty old (early ninety's maybe?) Mamiya, uses film, no digital stuff. I'd like to upgrade it some if I end up making money.
You drive a steam-engine car too?

First and foremost go for the gold on your aspirations.
Never let anyone try to stop you on this.

Now. Like mike said, find out what they want, requirements, etc.
I would advice that you also practice as much as possible. Even with the small digi-cam, the practice will help you find the things that work and don't. You might have to use the digi-cam only for practice, but it will help out tremendously. Have fun with it, and don't let it turn into a chore.

You will eventually have to up grade to something more advanced in the future,but don't let that discourage you. Keep on trucking.

If you really want to shoot images for a newspaper you can forget film

You would have to talk to the editor about submission formats, but since this isn't the New York Times you're talking about here, I would think you could work out something with scanned negs or prints. It's just up to your personal situation and how much you pursue it. So it's an older Mayima SLR? That sounds like a good platform to learn on. I would actually recommend learning with a film camera, but that's just my experience. Good luck with your endeavors.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back