New Year, New Site

AKUK

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Guys,

I've have literally just finished and published the new look site. I was with Squarespace but changed host to Wix because it gave me much greater control over layout and content. My main issue was the menu system in SS had become so large and clunky that I needed something more user friendly. I'd appreciate any feedback or if anyone notices any bugs I've missed (links not working correctly) etc.

www.azkportraits.co.uk

HI Aaron - very nice work.

I think the site layout works well and is quite functional.

Thanks for the feedback @JacaRanda . I spotted a load of problems after the site went live. Not quite sure what happened but, loads of the images and text had moved around and were overlapping. Sorted it out now though thankfully.

Looks great Aaron :icon_thumright:

I can't say I love the font or the buttons, seems a bit dated.

Just the fact that you paid a little bit to not have that stupid free wix crap floating around everywhere is a great start!

Thanks for the feedback guys. It is appreciated. I'm still not 100% on the final details but I can attest that it's a major step up over the old site lol.

I agree that the buttons and other fine details look a bit dated.

What is your goal with this website? It feels a little disjointed because there's so much information. There's too much information that isn't photography for a portfolio website. I'd try to combine all that other stuff into a single blog. I'm also a little confused about why a website called ask portraits has nature photography.

I agree too about the buttons. At first I couldn't find away around it in the outlay styles (still familiarizing myself completely with Wix). I made updates to the menu and also standardized all the page layouts now, which were marginally off. Spent about 4 hours making changes today. From now on it should remain pretty straightforward as I'll just duplicate pages and make amendments to create new pages.

The site serves a dual purpose really. One is to display all my work. When I first started photography, I just did portraiture. The site name is my nickname "Az" then K for my surname initial, then portraits. People have a hard enough time pronouncing my surname, so I wanted something easier for them to remember. Although the business name is AK Photography, I had no chance in hell of getting anything resembling that as domain name at the time. I've since expanded into product photography and enjoy wildlife too, so that is why it features on the site.

The second purpose is to educate beginners. I was a very active member of another forum that has been dying a slow death for a while now. Rather than just type the same stuff to different people in their help requests, I decided to compose articles and guides to save me time and so that anyone reading them could benefit. I expanded that into equipment reviews too. I'm not sponsored by anyone, so I'm completely impartial. Although a Nikon shooter I'm not a fanboy. If Canon have something better I point that out - like the 5D MKIII for video. If there are better 3rd party lenses, I make people aware of that too.

I had considered blogging it all but, the thing I dislike about blogs is that stuff gets buried. I could never get to grips with the strobist website and after a couple of visits, I gave quit going there many moons ago. I wanted to keep all the information accessible and easy to find on the site, which more opinion/philosophical pieces in the articles section and the practical info in the guides. I know it has proved useful to a lot of people in the past.

Thanks for the input and critiques everyone. Often a fresh set of eyes, helps you see something you have missed. I know I could do with a fresh pair since mine have gone square from the redesign lol

Most reactions

Back