Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
p1690189458-5.jpg

Personally I don't like it. Not sure if it was processed this way or captured like this at the moment of exposure, but the low image quality, lack of contrast, zero sharpness of detail, uninteresting subject and camera tilt just aren't working for me.

I like the semi-abstract qualities and the composition. However, it does have a "jittery" feel to it, presumably from the camera motion, which doesn't seem to fit with two guys standing there not doing anything. Perhaps there's a tension or some other subtext that I'm not getting.

^
Are we really trying to find a deep meaning behind this motion blur of static people, looking at an iphone and just doing nothing

I like it. I think I get it.

The one problem I have with it is that I am not sure if it's a subway or not. I feel like it's on a subway, and it all makes sense. If it's in the lobby of an office building or something, then it still makes sense, but differently, and I kind of wish the location was more obvious.

Either way I like the sense of furious busy-ness, of hustle, of motion, of the city with the man checking his messages, perfectly still for these moments, oblivious to the city.

On the subway the motion is literal and easier to get a handle on. The connection between "hustle of the city" and "motion blur in the photo" is moderated through the motion of the subway. The motion of the train is a metaphor for the hustle of the city, or something like that.

If the location is actually static, then the "hustle of the city" is just represented by the blur in the photo directly, and it's harder to accept.

That's how *I* read it, anyways.

Not a subway, Guy's head would be near the ceiling.

Yeah, I want it to be a train, but it feels too open and big to be a train. Platform, maybe?

Personally I don't like it. Not sure if it was processed this way or captured like this at the moment of exposure, but the low image quality, lack of contrast, zero sharpness of detail, uninteresting subject and camera tilt just aren't working for me.

Thank you for taking the time to look and comment. I am pleased to give you the opportunity.

I like the semi-abstract qualities and the composition. However, it does have a "jittery" feel to it, presumably from the camera motion, which doesn't seem to fit with two guys standing there not doing anything. Perhaps there's a tension or some other subtext that I'm not getting.

Thanks, Ken

^
Are we really trying to find a deep meaning behind this motion blur of static people, looking at an iphone and just doing nothing
What would the meaning behind it be if it was in either of those?

Not every response to any piece of art is one that can be expressed in a meaning - deep or not - that one can spell out.

I like it. I think I get it.

The one problem I have with it is that I am not sure if it's a subway or not. I feel like it's on a subway, and it all makes sense. If it's in the lobby of an office building or something, then it still makes sense, but differently, and I kind of wish the location was more obvious.

Thanks for looking and commenting.
Kiss the baby for me; they smell good - at the end with ears.

I am surprised that a trifle like this gets attention and more 'meaty' pictures I post get no responses at all.

I am surprised that a trifle like this gets attention and more 'meaty' pictures I post get no responses at all.
I think sometimes people are more likely to point out the qualities they dislike in a photo and critique it than they are to point out what they like about a good photo. I don't think it's really anything worth making an observation over though.

Thank you for taking the time to look and comment. I am pleased to give you the opportunity.

Uh, should I be thanking you for giving me the opportunity to comment? That seems a strange way to respond to a critique; kind of comes off as a semi-polite way of telling someone that their critique has no merit to you, which is fine. I've just never seen anyone respond to a critique this way and then comment on how this shot gets more negative attention than what you perceive as your better or "meatier" photos, especially when you are so willing to point out what you dislike in other people's photos. It almost sounds like you're complaining about the negative comments, when you should be thankful that anyone is taking the time to give you feedback, rather than suggesting that you did them a favor by giving them the opportunity to comment on your photo.

Last edited:
Either way I like the sense of furious busy-ness, of hustle, of motion, of the city with the man checking his messages, perfectly still for these moments, oblivious to the city.

On the subway the motion is literal and easier to get a handle on. The connection between "hustle of the city" and "motion blur in the photo" is moderated through the motion of the subway. The motion of the train is a metaphor for the hustle of the city, or something like that.

If the location is actually static, then the "hustle of the city" is just represented by the blur in the photo directly, and it's harder to accept.

That's how *I* read it, anyways.
I think a "New York Minute" hustle of the city sort of shot would translate better with a crowded feeling to it rather than just a couple guys looking at their phones in a really vague setting. I can't even really tell that it's in New York. To me, even the motion blur would fit the theme better with a crowd of people rather than just the two, but that's just my personal perspective. The beauty of it is that art is perceived differently by every person who views it.

What is the subject? The guy with the white pole bleeding through his head? The scene in general that is all blurry? IMO, motion blur is best when something is in focus or close to it. If SOMETHING....ANYTHING was in focus, I might like it. This looks like an outtake, something that would get deleted off my camera before it was even uploaded.

Suited best for the "just for fun" section if anything.

I'm not sure if it's because this doesn't seem to hold up to your 'normal' work Lew, or just because it doesn't grab me in any way, but I'm really not fond of this one. I see (I think) where you were going, but...

Most reactions

Back