New!

ericajean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've always enjoyed taking pictures, but I've been trying to really work on my technique and lighting lately while snapping photos of my kids. Most of my stuff is with natural light and an SB400 bounced off of the wall or celing. My husband did just surprise me with an Alien Bee 800 that I can't wait to really get acquainted with... But I thought I'd post these and see what you guys think. I'm definitely looking for anything constructive -- hints, tips, things that you notice. :) Thanks!

This one was the first shot I took when I opened the alien bee package yesterday. :) I had the flash to the left of her, pointed to a reflector (white poster board) setting at an angle in front of her.
1. $DSC_9383.jpg

These three were taken lying on a bed with the bedroom window to her right and my SB400 bounced off the ceiling.
2.$DSC_9232.jpg 3.$DSC_9270.jpg 4.$DSC_92242.jpg

These two were taken outside, and I'm pretty sure that the flash was off, but I could be wrong... :)
5.$2DSC_9145.jpg 6.$DSC_8601-bw.jpg

Last edited:
1. If you're going to use the AB, don't use the pop-up flash as well. Drool is NEVER photogenic! Try and get more (as in, a LOT more) separation between the subject and background. It's fine to use a wrinkly old sheet or drape as a backdrop, but we don't want it to look like we used a wrinkly old sheet! ;)

2-4: These all have a strong green cast. You may want to haul them back in and reprocess for a more accurate white balance. The composition in all three of these seems very tight to me; a little more 'breathing' room for the child would have been in order.

I'm not seeing a green cast in 2-4 at all? Did you try clicking on the images?

Thank you for your suggestions!

I'm not seeing a green cast in 2-4 at all? Did you try clicking on the images?

Thank you for your suggestions!

Your photos have an embedded ICC profile specifying the Adobe RGB color space. Tirediron likely didn't take the trouble to actually check their colorspace and may be seeing the photos very differently than you are. (Not Tirediron's responsibility -- this is your job). Web browsers don't necessarily process photo ICC profiles at all or correctly. If you post photos on the internet and they are tagged Adobe RGB it's a safe bet most people will see them quite differently than you do. For photos that you post on the internet you want to make sure they are converted to the sRGB color space.

Your photos do have a color cast that I assume is a deliberate artifice you applied. They are shifted orange quite a bit. That could look green given the color space mismatch.

Joe

I'm on my phone, so forgive my lack of length in my reply... But thank you. I did not realize that at all about the color profiles. I am very, very new at this... Only started because I wanted to be able to get good shots of my kids. :)

I'll definitely read up on color profiles so that I can fix that.

Thanks again. :)

The yellowish color cast is so distracting it makes it more difficult to see any lighting patterns. It looks almost like an old photo effect. If that was not intentional, you need to learn how to use white balance and use a calibrated monitor. #2 is the most effective but the sickly color cast doesn't work for me. Sickly color casts are actually somewhat of a fad in some fashion and portrait photography, but I don't get it.

Most reactions

Back