Newb and slideshow/video

wakkoguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have just moved from photography being a hobby to a biz! I have some questions if you have time.

1. If I wanted to add a slideshow cd/dvd (if they didn't want to pay for the digital files) to a session what software should I use where the pics could not be copied. I want clients to just pop the dvd into their player or computer and have the slideshow start automatically with no way of taking pics. (Flash maybe?)

2. How much do people charge for a cd/dvd of pics of the session?

TIA!
Just for fun, critique my site also.

Welcome to the forum.

#1. There are several program that would allow you to give people a slideshow with protected images. That being said, no protection is fool proof. Another protection technique is to only use low resolution images when you make the slide show...so even if the do get the image files, the resolution is not enough to make prints.
The software I use is ProShow Gold, it's the best slideshow software I've used.

#2. Charge as much as you think you would have made if you had sold them prints. :er: That doesn't really help, I know. The reality is that there is no right answer. Maybe check out other photographers in your area, to see what they are charging.

Question: If you don't offer clients proofs this way, how else would you show them and take orders? Consider the time involved in each option. Your time is worth something.

Definitely check with other local photographers like Big Mike suggested.

If you decide on a price and offer this, I'd do minimal PP on the images, Save for Web (very low resolution), and Watermark each one (to prevent copying). you can do this using the Batch function in Photoshop (any version). Just add the cost of your PP and a little more for copying and protecting the CD to your session fee.

There's actually no way to completely protect yourself from clients who are determined to steal from you. I was at a party recently and heard a very wealthy woman brag about how her son ("a real computer whiz!") had copied and removed the watermark on some professionally done pictures and made prints for her. She was very proud. I wish now I had said something, but I didn't. I just shook my head and walked away.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back