Newb, just getting into photography

Jonesy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been shooting with a Konica Minolta point and shoot for the past couple of years. I finally decided to take a huge step up and purchase a SLR. I debated long and hard on what I want/need, and finally purchased a Nikon D80 body, Sigma 18-200 lens, Hoya clear filter, and extra battery.

I mainly shoot car shows, family events, some scenery, and lot of motorcross, and motorsports in general. I know the lens is not the best, but just for starters I didn't want to drop a lot of money on a lens.

Anything else I should consider purchasing as I start shooting more? I hope to share a little and learn a lot from here.

Thanks
JT

Welcome to the forum.

You have the basics, a camera and a lens...so you can do many things with just that. Is there anything that you would like to shoot, that you feel your equipment isn't up to? Or something that you would like to try?

A tripod is always a great accessory. Maybe a flash. If you shoot outdoors a lot, a circular polarizing filter would be a good investment.

If you are happy so far with the lens you have your next purchase should be a flash. You can get away with the SB-600 but the 800 is better. This or a tripod are the 2 accessories (besides a new lens) you should have.

I have been shooting with a Konica Minolta point and shoot for the past couple of years. I finally decided to take a huge step up and purchase a SLR. I debated long and hard on what I want/need, and finally purchased a Nikon D80 body, Sigma 18-200 lens, Hoya clear filter, and extra battery.

I mainly shoot car shows, family events, some scenery, and lot of motorcross, and motorsports in general. I know the lens is not the best, but just for starters I didn't want to drop a lot of money on a lens.

Anything else I should consider purchasing as I start shooting more? I hope to share a little and learn a lot from here.

Thanks
JT

you actually tend to learn fairly quickly by being limited. You learn what you can and cant do, and you learn how to make the most out of the equipment you have, many of those techniques will be used over and over and over.

Just get out there and do it.

Most reactions

Back