NEWB Question

CowgirlMama

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I have access to a film camera (I can't tell you the model right off because my dad has to dig it out, though he's happy to let me use it) and supplies to develop film. I have my dad to help with the developing process and have used the camera before. It's what I first started learning manual settings on, years before my first DSLR. ;) However, I haven't used it in half a decade and I always used a professional developer. Well, WalMart doesn't do that anymore and, honestly, I don't want to ever hand pictures in any form over to them again because they've ruined too many.

The one thing that neither of us has an answer to is how best to scan film. My scanner has a film attachment, but neither of us knows if it's any good. It did fine with slides years ago (digitizing my grandparents' images), but we've never used it for film. My options are to use the scanner I have, find a professional source to scan images or find somewhere to get them printed, as my dad doesn't currently have equipment for the printing part. ;) He used to have a complete darkroom and do everything, but that was before I was born. If you'd send it somewhere, do you have recommendations?

Like I said, this is entirely new territory. I used film for more than half my life, but usually in point and shoot cameras. The one SLR I used is still around and working, so it's what I'll be playing with. *This is an experiment.* :sexywink: I'm not expecting anything amazing from my first roll or anything. Just to have fun and work on a new challenge.

What about buying your own scanner? Something like the Epson V700 will do an excellent job of everything from 35mm to 6x7. I don't have any recommendations since I use a local scanner in Victoria, but be aware, good quality scans cost! a 645 negative done on a high-resolution drummer scanner can run $5-7/negative! There are lots of on-line labs for printing, but really if you want the most fun, head over to Craig's List and grab a darkroom set-up for peanuts! I see enlargers that, 20 years ago would have sold for $1000+ going for <$100, and in some cases even being given away. You should be able to get a nice, basic set-up, enlarger, trays, etc, for <$200 without any trouble.

I do have a scanner. ;) I'm just not sure how good it'll be on film. I've only done slides and prints with it. I can test it on film at some point. My mom kept *all* the negatives when she sent pictures for printing, so there's plenty around.

The Epson flatbed photo scanners work great, you just have to carefully adjust the scan height. I used layers of masking tape on the "feet" of the film carriers on my v700 to dial in the focus.

Dedicated film scanners are a bit easier to use but need a lot of babysitting as they only scan one frame at a time, compared to 24 frames on the v700.

Flatbeds also offer the ability to scan medium.and large format film if u should adventure in that direction.

I'd say it depends on what you want to do with the shots. The only way to know if the scanner you already have is good or not is to try it out on film and see how you like it.

If you don't, then look into buying a different scanner. If you need hi-res scans for big prints or for something professional, then look at the better scanners or professional services, both of which can get pricey. If it's just for personal consumption, smaller prints, then you would be fine with a flatbed scanner. My flatbed is a Canon CanoScan - they're up to model 9000F now. It does 35mm and 120, can go pretty hi-res, and can scan up to 12 35mm frames at a time or 4 or 5 120 frames at a time (depending on the size - e.g. 6x4.5 vs 6x6.) I've also scanned in peel-apart Polaroid (well, technically they're Fuji now) negatives, which measure about 3.5x4. I've printed up to 11x14 with good results and the 120 could go bigger than that if I needed. I'm not a professional, so this suits my needs at the moment.

The largest I'm likely to print anything is 8X10. ;) Even if one day I make it to the point of professional, I'll probably stick with the DSLR for that. This is just for fun because I miss the days of film. It looks different than anything I could ever achieve on my DSLR.

Down load Vuescan and have a play it works better than any program that comes with the scanner, here's a scan from my Epson V500 and vuescan

Scan-130611-0009-XL.jpg

One thing to remember for scanning film on a flatbed is dust. Get a good bulb dust blower to get as much dust off the film before putting it on the scanner and some wipes or a dust-free cloth (the the kind that come with eyeglass cleaners) for the glass on the scanner. Even with the dust-removal function that most scanning software comes with, it's hard to get all the specs of dust off of the images.

One thing to remember for scanning film on a flatbed is dust. Get a good bulb dust blower to get as much dust off the film before putting it on the scanner and some wipes or a dust-free cloth (the the kind that come with eyeglass cleaners) for the glass on the scanner. Even with the dust-removal function that most scanning software comes with, it's hard to get all the specs of dust off of the images.

How true, dust is a problem with all scanners its just that much worse on a flatbed. Be prepared to spend a bit of time on each photo u want to print cleaning it up. Don't use any automatic dust filters, they can destroy detail--do it by hand. My technique in Photoshop is to duplicate the layer and use a heavy dust and scratches filter on the bottom layer, then use the eraser on the top layer on any dust spots, this way you leave the image as unmolested as possible.

How true, dust is a problem with all scanners its just that much worse on a flatbed. Be prepared to spend a bit of time on each photo u want to print cleaning it up. Don't use any automatic dust filters, they can destroy detail--do it by hand. My technique in Photoshop is to duplicate the layer and use a heavy dust and scratches filter on the bottom layer, then use the eraser on the top layer on any dust spots, this way you leave the image as unmolested as possible.

Huh. That's interesting. I'll have to see how that works with Corel. I've been zooming in and using the clone brush just for the little specks, but I wonder how the layers will work.

I look back at the negatives my bf and I scanned when we first got our CanoScan and it's amazing how much dust is there. We're pretty diligent now about dust removal before scanning, so it's not been too bad, but between obsessive wiping the scanner and blowing off the negatives, and then the tweaks on the computer - it can really be a chore.

Another way for dust removal in Photoshop is the History brush.....set your dust/scratch to the desired effect. Then use the History brush to select the dust specks to remove them. You can make them light or dark or blend, many options available.

I think it depends on the scanner and if it can do hi res scans as to how the quality will be - depends on the original image too and how sharp it is, etc.

I agree with Limr that you need to dust the scanner, I too use a bulb blower like the Rocket, and/or a microfiber cloth. If I need some liquid cleaner I buy something that's designed to be used on my printer/computer or camera equipment and put a very small amount on the cloth not directly on the equipment.

To clean dust off negatives I've used something like this - Beseler DustGun 100 10 oz (340gm)-Disposable Can #8593 8593 - you'd need to make sure if you get compressed air it's something that's made to be used on negatives. I just use a spritz or two and if you want to try it out you might try it on the end of a roll of film.

Hello everyone! I am also a newbie, brand new to this site. I have a question about vintage black and white film (I think)... What does the numeral 4 mean in the lower right corner of my 3" x 4 1/2" old B&W photos that i bought in an auction? Thank you very much for your time.

Hello everyone! I am also a newbie, brand new to this site. I have a question about vintage black and white film (I think)... What does the numeral 4 mean in the lower right corner of my 3" x 4 1/2" old B&W photos that i bought in an auction? Thank you very much for your time.
Welcome.
This #4 is on the prints or negatives ? Best, post a scan or quick (but clear) digital snapshot.

Most reactions

Back