Newbei bought a 35mm without VR

Back to Houston today, and print out the focusing test chart. Redo the focusing test:
Two auto focus:
6107728701_404cd3b5df_b.jpg
[/URL] DSC_0068 by RichardsFlik, on Flickr[/IMG]
6107750295_c14250059b_b.jpg
[/URL] DSC_0071 by RichardsFlik, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Went back to Houston this weekend. The salesman at Wolf Camera is very helpful. He gave me a 35mm f1.8d and a D90 to take couple test shoots. First I shot with his 35mm mounted on my d90, then my 35mm f1.8g mounted on his d90. Comparing to the image from my 35mm w/D90, I got the same blur bar code images. Therefore neither my 35mm nor my D90 has quality issue. Trough all these tests, I have to admit that 100% crop on a bar code image challenges the capability of the D90.

Do you think the front/back focus issue matters? Is it necessary to send my D90 back to Nikon for calibration?

Again Thank you all for your help. Appreciate your advice. I learn a lot here.

The shots of the chart don't look bad. Based on those shots, I don't think you have a back/front focusing issue.
(DOF is 1/3 in front, 2/3 behind the point of focus, which is exactly what you see in those shots of the chart.)

Let me make sure I'm clear on this...
Two bodies, two lenses - you tied both lenses on both bodies and didn't see any difference? (And the chart shots look fine to me.)

If that is the case, I have to say that it's gotta be your technique... Or there's just something evil about barcodes, lol.

I mean, basically, you're saying that you eliminated both the body and the lens as being bad - correct? If so, the only other variable is you... I don't really know what else it could be.

Correct me if I'm wrong on anything...

The only other thing I can think of is that the barcode is throwing the focus off somehow. Your shots of the chart look fine, so you obviously know how to focus.

You are side shooting the page, and that is part of the problem. You don't have to be right on top of it, but you need to be more up. I agree that this appears to be user error.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back