Newbie from India

amitava

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

This is Amitava from New Delhi, India and a new member of this forum. I am new to photography and hope to learn a lot from you all.

The cameras that I own are:
Sony Cybershot W120 - bought this couple of years back and have only used it for non-serious photography (never really tried to get the maximum out of it)
Canon D90 - bought this recently and with it want to take a serious crack at photography. Pretty much using it as a point and click device right now before I find time to read the manual and test the waters.

Haven't posted any pictures yet; will do that in the near future.

Thanks
Amitava

Hi Amitava, and welcome

Poke around the site, do some searches on specific topics that might interest you, and I'm sure you'll learn lots. Then it's a matter of taking out the cam, trying the manual settings, and practicing!

Hi All,

This is Amitava from New Delhi, India and a new member of this forum. I am new to photography and hope to learn a lot from you all.

Sony Cybershot W120 - bought this couple of years back and have only used it for non-serious photography (never really tried to get the maximum out of it)
Canon D90 - bought this recently and with it want to take a serious crack at photography. Pretty much using it as a point and click device right now before I find time to read the manual and test the waters.

Thanks
Amitava

Welcome to TPF Amitava, this is the best place you could hav come to! Looking forward to your pics..:)

GIRL?? Where?? :scratch:

Welcome to TPF.
You are lucky to live in such a photogenic country.
I look forward to seeing your work here.

Lew

Welcome to the forum...

Welcome to TPF.
You are lucky to live in such a photogenic country.
I look forward to seeing your work here.

Lew

That!

But unfortunately, the citizens themselves do not think too much of it, and most havent even travelled 20% of the country.

My parents lived in the united arab emirates since 1970 (I was born and raised here in Dubai) and have just retired 2 years ago and moved back to india and just now started travelling across this massive country, and the snapshots they come back with after each journey are beautiful.

http://www.scoopwhoop.com/news/india-abroad/?ref=related_posts&type=most_viewed

But unfortunately, the citizens themselves do not think too much of it, and most havent even travelled 20% of the country.
I would agree partly with you, citizens do realize the beauty of it but are too busy earning their daily livelihood. Unlike most other countries our 9-5 jobs in most sectors don't exactly last 9-5. Most of us haven't traveled even 5% of the country (including me), but mostly the reason has got nothing to do with whether we realize its beauty or not.

Last edited:
I would agree partly with you, citizens do realize the beauty of it but are too busy earning their daily livelihood. Unlike most other countries our 9-5 jobs in most sectors don't exactly last 9-5. Most of us haven't traveled even 5% of the country (including me), but the mostly the reason has got nothing to do with whether we realize its beauty or not.

Yeah i'd have to agree with you on that.

I do wish i could travel the vastness of india more often than not.

I am however planning on covering the next Kumbh Mela thats due to happen in Nashik in 2015. I've always wanted to be a part of a pilgrimage of that magnitude. (im not religious, more of agnostic) but for photography purposes.

Hi All,

Thanks
Amitava

Welcome to the Forum from a fellow Indian. This forum is a treasure for Learning photography.

I have always been a Fan of Diversity the Indian culture has to often. I have traveled a lot in India but photographing while traveling here is a bit of complex. I mean, unlike Western countries where people are a bit more used to with people holding Big cameras, I find it very awkward to do so here especially North India. People start staring you, will stop midway to see what is he up to and on many occasions even become aggressive or start to bully you.

Though nothing to take away from Beauty of this country !!

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum from a fellow Indian. This forum is a treasure for Learning photography.

I have always been a Fan of Diversity the Indian culture has to often. I have traveled a lot in India but photographing while traveling here is a bit of complex. I mean, unlike Western countries where people are a bit more used to with people holding Big cameras, I find it very awkward to do so here especially North India. People start staring you, will stop midway to see what is he up to and on many occasions even become aggressive or start to bully you.

Though nothing to take away from Beauty of this country !!

Sounds like India all right! Remember the culture in India varies hugely from state to state, and will decide people treat you. Although bullying isn't very common, not to foreigners any way. Where did you face bullying?

Sounds like India all right! Remember the culture in India varies hugely from state to state, and will decide people treat you. Although bullying isn't very common, not to foreigners any way. Where did you face bullying?

Bullying has happened many times to me, most of the times while I am using a Telephoto Lens at Zoos or Bird Sanctuaries.

3 months ago, I was at a Sanctuary in Delhi/NCR carrying my D7000 with Tamron 70-300 Vc and was trying to get some pics of birds. A man in his 60s who was with his family was watching and following me all the way around the sanctuary. Then he mustered enough courage and asked me, "Are you working for some newspaper I said no. "Are you a reporter" I humbly said no and moved on. I could hear him whisper to his family "Pagal hai dekho(See he's nuts) and all of them started laughing out aloud. There were many others who would pass comments when they saw me with my gear

I felt very awkward and from then on I make sure I don't talk to any bystanders. For anyone carrying some Exotic photo gear, that's what I would recommend. Just act like you are deaf & dumb

Welcome to the site.

I could hear him whisper to his family "Pagal hai dekho(See he's nuts) and all of them started laughing out aloud. There were many others who would pass comments when they saw me with my gear
No doubt these people were idiots, and that Delhi is known for it's vocal public. But as long as nobody is touching me, I can always move on. You'll find people like that all across the globe buddy!

No doubt these people were idiots, and that Delhi is known for it's vocal public. But as long as nobody is touching me, I can always move on. You'll find people like that all across the globe buddy!

Actually I was touched very badly after this. Sometimes people end up toching where it hurts the most :(

We Indians need to grow a lot as far as sensibility is concerned

Most reactions

Back