Newbie from Michigan

SJGordon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everybody. I stumbled across the forum while poking around the internet and after looking around for a bit, thought I would join. Seems to be a rather open group of people and friendly. Some photography forums spend more effort on knocking each others technique or equipment than on the actual photography itself. This one does not look that way at all.

Background: I've been shooting photos for decades and started as a kid when my Dad put his treasured 35mm in my hands and showed me how to use it. This was before auto-focus, auto-exposure, auto-everything became popular or even available for some of them. When Minolta came out with it's Maxxum series back in 1985 I drooled over the auto features and figured it would be a LONG time before one ever ended up in my hands. By the end of 85 I had a Maxxum 5000 (which I still have) and loved it. The amount of film gone through was staggering, as well as expensive, and with a family started in the late 90's photography took a back seat for a while. Fast forward to a couple years ago and my dear wife saw how much I missed having a "real" camera in my hand and took me out with one of her bonuses from work and bought me the DSLR of my choice (within the limits of the bonus check :)). I became the proud owner of a Sony a200, and fell in love with photography all over again.

I'm still old school on some things, and old habits die hard. I still carry a pocket notebook with me and take notes of the conditions. I still like to use the manual settings a lot. I prefer my 25 year old lenses to some of the modern ones (as well as a couple 40+ year old lenses).

Sorry for the long introduction, but I glad to be here, and hope I fit in a bit.

Scott G.

Most reactions

Back