Newbie getting back into photography...

BirthDoula

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello! I have had photography as a hobby of mine for a long time, but got really into it during college and shortly after. I worked in a photo processing lab (35mm and digital) for awhile, and enjoyed that a lot. It was.... er, interesting to see some of the things people would photograph. :lol: Anyway, I am definitely an amateur, and I'm not even sure if I'm "good" at photography, but I enjoy it. I have a family now (husband and a toddler so far), and really love photographing my daughter, because I think she's the cutest thing ever. She is getting to an age now where I can even tell her to smile for the camera, but she doesn't hold still for long - she's 2.5. LOL. Anyhow, I am a Birth Doula (labor support) and Childbirth Educator by trade, and I sometimes photograph clients holding their newborn babies immediately after birth - the most precious moment anyone could ever have. I am thinking about offering birth photography services as a separate option if someone wants to hire me *just* for that purpose, because when I'm there as labor support, that is my primary focus, so I often do not have time to take more than a few quick photos. There isn't much competition in my area for this, since there are only 2 other people within about 50 miles that I can find online who offer birth photography as a service. I would love to become a better photographer so I can do this, as well as perhaps taking some maternity portraits (which I've done a few times, but they came out so-so). :er:

So, I'm here to re-learn photography, get some tips and ideas, and figure out what kind of equipment I might need. I think I'll start another post regarding equipment.

BirthDoula said:
Hello! I have had photography as a hobby of mine for a long time, but got really into it during college and shortly after. I worked in a photo processing lab (35mm and digital) for awhile, and enjoyed that a lot. It was.... er, interesting to see some of the things people would photograph. :lol: Anyway, I am definitely an amateur, and I'm not even sure if I'm "good" at photography, but I enjoy it. I have a family now (husband and a toddler so far), and really love photographing my daughter, because I think she's the cutest thing ever. She is getting to an age now where I can even tell her to smile for the camera, but she doesn't hold still for long - she's 2.5. LOL. Anyhow, I am a Birth Doula (labor support) and Childbirth Educator by trade, and I sometimes photograph clients holding their newborn babies immediately after birth - the most precious moment anyone could ever have. I am thinking about offering birth photography services as a separate option if someone wants to hire me *just* for that purpose, because when I'm there as labor support, that is my primary focus, so I often do not have time to take more than a few quick photos. There isn't much competition in my area for this, since there are only 2 other people within about 50 miles that I can find online who offer birth photography as a service. I would love to become a better photographer so I can do this, as well as perhaps taking some maternity portraits (which I've done a few times, but they came out so-so). :er:

So, I'm here to re-learn photography, get some tips and ideas, and figure out what kind of equipment I might need. I think I'll start another post regarding equipment.

Well hi and welcome ..... I feel a little out of place saying that as I've only been here five minutes myself but hey welcome anyway
You seem to have a fantastic opportunity there grab it with both hands... I certainly would my sister in law recently had a baby and I took a couple of shots when (little Ellie) she was about two weeks and have had some good feedback on the shots but my sis had some pics from the hospital which were far superior to my own shots which they paid for so yes go for it I say .... It's a golden opportunity staring straight at you ...... Did I say hello and welcome 

Most reactions

Back