Newbie got some questions.

amusa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have used a friend Nikon D30 in Autofocus mode few years back on our honeymoon and the pictures came out great. For a few years I wanted a D90 but recently I purchase a D3100, tripod, bag, memory stick and Len online due to a package price that I could not pass up. I'm still a newbie. Is there any helpful tips that will be useful and also I'm looking for a telephoto zoom lens that I can take pictures of jetliner coming in for landing and wildlife, I don't want to spend a arm and a leg since I'm new just want to take some nice pictures and get a feel of my new camera.

Also I want to compare my D3100 with my sister D5000. I still think my sister D5000 pictures are not clear for some reason.

#1 helpful tip? Read the manual. When you're done, read it again! Nikon produces excellent manuals for it's camera's and they will give you a LOT of help. As for your telephoto lens question, you'll have to define "an arm and a leg". What might be reasonable to me could be very expensive (or very inexpensive) to you. You can spend anywhere from $150 for a used 55-300mm kit lens to $12000 for 600mm f4 prime.

On the telephoto lens. I don't want to spend more then $600 if i don't have to for some clear decent pictures since I'm new and just looking to have some fun with it and not on a professional level.

For $600 I would suggest either buying a new 70-300 f4-5.6 telephoto zoom, or a used 80-200mm f2.8 zoom. The 70-300 will give you a longer reach, but the 80-200 is an overall better lens, and with a constant f2.8, is MUCH a much better low-light performer.

Thank you for the input on the lens. I been searching on the internet on the different lens and prices.

My wife been using the camera allot and already had to charge the battery 3 times since we got it on Thanksgiving. I'm still learning the settings and found out it did not come with a USB cable :( I may have one laying around. Today I'm going to get a good feel of it since we are taking it to D.C. Garden.

Thanks for the helpful tips.

I went out and tried to take some pics with the new camera today. Let me know what you think.
DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

Most reactions

Back