Newbie Here - Need some guidance

shortd81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've just brought the FujiFilm FinePix S700 and looking to get into photography as an amateur. so any guidance will help.

I took the course back in high school but after that haven't been into it and now I'm getting back into it.

The best advice is to just go out and shoot. When you can't shoot then read. Get a book from the library and read up on aprature, shutter speed and exposure. Also take time to look at other peoples photo's and see what you like about them.

What exactly do you want guidance with? The best piece of advice I can give is to just get out there and start taking pictures of things that interest you. You could try reading some general information on composing shots or what you need to know to tackle a certain situation, but until you've got a feel of what kind of pictures you want to be taking, you don't know what you need help with.

Keep your camera with you as much as possible and look at the world around you for inspiration. Don't worry about getting amazing pictures right from the go, just keep taking photos and you'll soon learn what looks right and what doesn't.

Read through the manual. Learn what some of the settings do, as you have questions on things that you don't understand like what shutter speed, ISO rating, aperture does either come here or look up the answers to these questions.

This is a really good way to start and will give you a good basic understanding. Then you can pick up some books or search the many many sites dedicated to learning around the internet.

Good luck and welcome.

Hey thanks guys. I'm totally lost when it comes to getting better though.

Welcome to ThePhotoForum, shortd! :D

OK, best guidance here is always given when our members post photos they have taken and ask for some critique.

Therefore I would recommend you look at the galleries we have, decide for the one you feel is best suited to the photos you have taken so far, decide on the picture-server on line that you will want to use to upload your photos into (www.photobucket.com or www.fastpictures.com or any of the other free ones out there), and then start to show us the photos you have taken.

If you combine your showing us with specific questions you have, we can best help you? Is that a deal? ;)

The S700 is a very capable camera, so you should be able to do just about anything you want with it...

The question is, what do you want to do? What are your passions? Do you enjoy sports, travel, looking at lovely landscapes, animals, etc. Find a way to work your photography into what you already love to do.

Your camera is small, easy to carry with you wherever you go, and has a massive zoom range... so you will rarely be stuck in a situation you can't take a picture of.

Go have some fun with it!

Ok guys thanks, I have passion for alot of different things but I am intreged with animals. Here is 2 pictures I have of squirrels so tell me what you think.

DSCF0741.jpg

and the other
DSCF0649.jpg

Hopefully you can give me some tips.

Most reactions

Back