Newbie here, please be gentle

Mad_Gnome

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photo-guy.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all. I'm new to the forum, and fairly new to photography in general, but I appear to have a good eye for eye-catching composition. My current equipment is vintage, but still in fantastic shape, and captures fantastic images. Unfortunately, my scanner is not so phenomenal, and has dust contamination underneath the glass. (I didn't think at the time to get them on CD as well as print :x ) I tried to touch up the picture below in Photoshop and take as many of the intruding little mites out as I could, but until I get into digital photography (need to earn more money first! ;) ) this is the best I can manage. Anyway, the photo below was taken from the driver's seat of my truck on the highway. I was taken aback by the breathtaking view of the lowering sun behind the clouds, but I was unable to stop to take the picture (on a deadline) so I fished out the camera and managed to snap one of the most stunning pictures I've taken to date. The scan truly doesn't do it justice. Anyway, let me know what you think. Picture was taken with a Minolta X700 and a Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5 wide-angle zoom lens. Aperature at 2.8, shutter speed 1/1000 sec. on Fuji ISO 200 film.

Sky.jpg

Pretty nice composition. It's nice how the sun peaks through the clouds. Only thing that could be better IMHO is that the clouds towards the right are really dark, and could use to have been exposed so they were lighter. But good job overall.

I love the play between the light peaking through and the dark clouds. I think this is an example of a photo that probably looks much better in print than the scan can show.
Welcome to TPF!

Thanks guys! I was afraid the emotion of the scene wouldn't come through in the scan, so I was pleased when it turned out alright. (Still nothing compared to the print, but more than acceptable! :) ) I'll try to post a few others I have hanging around. A lot of the pictures I've taken so far are simply snapshots, but there are a few that just happened to turn out really well. (Partially through planning.) I'm still playing with all the settings just to see how things affect the photographs (aperatures, shutter speeds, etc.), so one picture like that out of four rolls makes all four rolls worth it! :mrgreen:

By the way, Alison, what part of NH? This shot was taken just south of the Portsmouth traffic circle. Not sure if you know the area. (I would have LOVED to pull over and take a shot like this from the top of the high rise bridge! :mrgreen: )

*Edit - scratch that, checked your website!

Most reactions

Back