Newbie here w/questions

mrsbos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all! I've recently decided to venture into photography. I've taken pictures for years now, just not professionally. First question is how did you get started? Did you go to school? I've researched on some schools but just didn't know if this is what I should do. I have 3 kids, a full time job and school just may not fit in the schedule. Right now I have an easyshare Z612 Zoom Digital Camera...it's been great so far, but I keep reading about SLR's and am thinking of getting one soon. I've recently been asked to do a wedding for my best friend's brother. Any suggestions on a camera? Any advice on how to get started in this career??

Thanks all!!!!
Renee

Stay away from weddings until you are able to use the camera. A digi cam will not provide great quality for wedding images. A dSLR needs to be used with care and a person should know the camera inside out. Also you need fast glass to be able to competently shoot a wedding and a digicam nor a kit lens will be anywhere near enough.

By all means shoot as a scond photographer but get a pro who knows what he's doing. You'll then still have a brother who likes you!

Hi Mrsbos,

I'm new to photography myself just been doing it for about 6 months or so, I believe classes would really help out. I'm in school now for an AA degree and I plan to take some photography classes, actually I'm enrolled in a Photo Appreciation class for this fall. You can learn a lot on your own but I know a class will be a boost in learning about photography.

Now I would agree to stay away from a wedding not only do you have to know your camera but, just the amount of equipment you would need to really pull it off.

Unless... you talk to the groom and bride and explain throughly that you are not a professional and make it clear what they can expect for photos. If the groom and bride say ok then go for it if you feel up to it. (personally I wouldn't do it, unless there was at least a professional involved.)

As far as buying a DSLR, I have a Nikon D40 and so far I like the camera, I've just grow out of it and want to upgrade. The big question you will have to ask yourself is, are you going to be a Canonian or a Nikonian?

Just because you are asked does not mean that you are qualified. You are playing with a once-in-a-lifetime event (well ... it's supposed to be) ... with memories that are to last a lifetime ... doing a job that you seem to be lacking in experienced and and ill equipped to perform.

If your brother lacks the funds to hire a professional ... then the best gift you can give him is to contribute to hiring a professional.

Thanks for all the advice. I already have something set up w/them to go over how new I am to this...which they already know but I wanted to make sure they fully understood.
What is my best approach to get started? Going to school? Learning it all on my own?
Thanks again.

My suggestion is to start learning now on your own. With the internet you can find a lot of information. Research some photography books. This will give you some time to really find out what you want from photography, mabye you realize you just want to do it as a hobby or maybe you want to go pro. Going to school is never a bad idea so if you decide you want more from photography after the internet and books then look into a class.

The best way to learn is by doing. Whether that envolves a classroom situation or lessons by internet or joining a photo group and learning from the members ... it all boils down to shooting ... and shooting again and then shoot some more.

Equally important to learning the mechanics of photography is learning the elements of what constitutes a good photograph. Armed with this knowledge you can self-critique your photos. Look to photos everywhere ... in books, newpapers, billboards, et cetera and critique them ... do they work for you and why. Remember the elements of the photograph that work and use them in your photography. Be tough on yourself. Remember that all that counts is the final image ... noboby cares what you had to do to get the shot.

Gary

...or have a look at Pentax, Sony, Samsung... They all make very competent cameras.

Nikon and Canon are by far at the top of the list though, at least that is what I would think.

Nikon and Canon are definitely at the top of the line as far as dSLR's are concerned, but Canon, Kodak and Sony are the kings of the hill when it comes to P&S cameras.

Plus, you want to look at resale value as well as community penetration in case you want to upgrade, or have questions about your existing unit.

As for the OP - yea. . .unless the wedding is MONTHS away, I would just pitch in for a "pro" (or someone you know compotent enough to take great photos). This is a pretty important event, and the last thing you want is to be the one who flubbed up their wedding "memories".

I started on this site:
http://dpfwiw.com/index.htm
and
http://www.uscoles.com/fstop.htm

These sites are great, and they will help alot. Ive drawn into the canon field because originally i had a canon ae-1. Now i have a digital rebel that i am beginning to outgrow. But start where you feel comfortable (in DSLRs) and where your wallet doesnt hurt as bad.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back