newbie here

spacemule

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't know much about photography, but have always been interested in great pictures. I'm a law school student, so have little time and money to invest in the hobby. However, I do want to get started.

In reading the threads, I see a lot of recommendations for the D-40. While I would love to get a digital slr, I'm wondering if that would be the most prudent purchase for someone who knows nothing? If I'm going to spend $600 plus for a camera, I'm thinking I should learn the basics first on something cheap and then buy exactly what I need.

With that in mind, Fujifilms cameras have caught my eye, this one in particular. I don't see needing other lenses for learning the basics, but that's tough to know with virtually no experience.

But, 18 power optical zoom lens with image stabilization and the features they're advertising sounds really enticing--all for less than the cost of the digital slr camera body alone. Would you go with a non changeable lens for an introduction to photography? I like all the neat high end gadgets as much as the next guy, but I really want to focus on principles and what setting controls what. Is that feasible with such a camera?

Thanks guys, and it looks like you've got a great forum here. :thumbup:

The way I looked at it when shopping for a camera is that there are many P&S cameras out there, there are many that are really great. However in the end, if I purchased a nice P&S I knew I would not be happy with it. By spending a little more for a low end DSLR, at least that could grow with me. You kinda have to look at yourself, are you going to be happy with that camera?

As for what it will do, I was looking at the Panasonic and Olympus 18x zooms but at the long end of the zoom they tend to loose sharpness and tend to blow highlights, chromatic aberration, etc. Even though they have more megapixels the D40 had much better image quality especially at 1:1

I found dpreview.com to be an extremely good resource when shopping for a camera.

Ohh, and welcome!

I think that choosing a camera is a personal thing. People choose Canon, Nikon, Olympus etc. out of prefrence.
I would however recomend one of the cameras from Canon or Nikon. Just about every store sell them, and just about every one has experiance with them. So it's easy to get help.

A camera like the D40 or the Eos 400D are great first cameras, you'll learn a lot from using them and there is the fail safe of presett programe modes if you are unsure as to what apperture or shutter speed will work best with the shot you're planning. (Plus you can find apperture and shutter speed in the meta data after you shoot the photo, so you can learn how to do this your self with good quality next time.)

Best of luck. I hope you'll find a camera you like.

To answer your question the Fujifilm will most definitely be sufficient to learn the basics.

Whether or not it would be worth it to learn with a P&S instead of a DSLR is determined probably by where you want to go with photography.

I knew that I wanted to make this a serious hobby and if I bought a P&S I would outgrow it quickly. When you are buying a DSLR, you are buying into a system. The lenses hold their value incredibly well and there are many many upgrade possibilities.

Bottom line though, is that yes, that camera will most definitely be a good one to allow you to focus and learn the basics.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm not certain where I want to go with photography. I might find that it requires more talent or time than I want to invest. That's the main reason I was looking at something cheaper.

Resale value is also a consideration, however. If I buy a desirable camera and practice this winter, and subsequently find I don't want to pursue the hobby, then the higher resale value would be a big benefit. Of course, the resale would also be a benefit if I merely wanted to upgrade later. Decisions, decisions. :confused::lmao:

I also wanted to mention that I like the standard AA batteries the Fuji takes. The idea of a specialized battery pack doesn't appeal to me, especially when rechargeable AA lithium ion cells are so cheap now.

Here's another question. Point and shoot cameras give zoom power, but slr's just give a mm range. How do you convert one to the other? For instance, how many power zoom would an 18 to 55 mm lens be?

Just guessing, I would assume you would divide the big number by the little number--55/18--to get approximately 3 power zoom, but I have no idea if this is correct. Thanks again.

BTW, I've almost talked myself into the Fuji. ;-)

The way I looked at it when shopping for a camera is that there are many P&S cameras out there, there are many that are really great. However in the end, if I purchased a nice P&S I knew I would not be happy with it. By spending a little more for a low end DSLR, at least that could grow with me. You kinda have to look at yourself, are you going to be happy with that camera?

As for what it will do, I was looking at the Panasonic and Olympus 18x zooms but at the long end of the zoom they tend to loose sharpness and tend to blow highlights, chromatic aberration, etc. Even though they have more megapixels the D40 had much better image quality especially at 1:1

I found dpreview.com to be an extremely good resource when shopping for a camera.

Ohh, and welcome!
Thanks for the link. I love that site! :thumbup::thumbup:

Well, just ordered the Fuji. They've got a money back guarantee if I don't like it. I appreciate the advice.

I want more camera, but I see a trend developing. I almost talk myself into a d40, and then I think "well, for only 200 more I can get a d40x," and then I get myself talked into that and I think, "well, for only 200 more I can get an extra lens to shoot distance shots," and then I think, "well, for only a few hundred more I can get a d200," and then I think, "well. . ."
;-)

I think this camera will give me a good introduction and hold enough resale value after six months or a year to go towards a better camera should I so choose. I fully expect this camera to be well beyond my capabilities anyway, given my knowledge and experience level.

I know that going with the digital slr is an excellent choice for someone who is serious about photography, but I'm not there yet. Actually, I've thought to myself that asking about a point and shoot in a forum like this is kind of like asking an eskimo how warm my underwear needs to be. lol At any rate, I hope to post some photos soon. Thanks.

Most reactions

Back