Newbie in Aussie

AussieDee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I was referred to this forum by a Mac forum member. I hope I find this forum useful.

I'm fairly new to photography and am interested in purchasing something more advanced besides a $99 digital camera.

My main focus on photography is nature, animals and objects. I'm currently trying to find something easy to use but I want a quick shutter speed. Nothing bugs me more than taking a shot only to have to wait 3 or 4 secs for my digital to focus in on the subject. UGH!

Looking forward to sharing my work and for some critiques.

My novice stuff is on deviantart at http://dees-dezines.deviantart.com/gallery
So... do I guts potential? :blushing: And what should I work on? Don't forget, it's a $99 GE digital camera! ;)

You definitely have a good eye and all those with a $99 camera! I particularly like "Guard", "Dock", "Stand Alone", a lot of the "Josephine" ones are really good too - and many more, too many to list. You are fortunate to be in such a beautiful country, you must come across so many great photo ops.

But just a note, shutter speed and autofocus are totally different. When you press the button and have to wait for it to take the picture, that's a shutter lag (often caused by a slow autofocus) and nothing to do with shutter speed. Shutter speed is the length of time between when the shutter opens and when it closes and that is essentially the same for all cameras. That wait time between when you press the button and when the shutter actually opens is the shutter lag and is a common problem with low end point and shoots or older point and shoots. Recent mid to higher end point and shoots aren't so bad anymore (at least my brother's newer version of my point and shoot seems faster to me).

Here's an article on the topic: http://www.cameras.co.uk/blog/2007/06/shutter-lag-and-digital-cameras.html

Welcome aboard. Some nice shots you've got.

G'day! Thanks for the welcome! I guess I don't have my email notification set right. I didn't realize I had replies. :D

Robin, thank you for the clarification on shutter speed and auto focus, ya know, I think I knew that but had a brain fart happening. :/

I like my little $99 dollar camera, it takes some good shots but it has it's quirks. My biggest two are the auto focus and the fact that I don't have a view finder. UGH! So sunny days are really hard to see what I'm shooting. So much glare on the LCD screen. I HATE that.

So in essence... if I just go with a more advanced digital rather than an SLR would there be much of a difference? I was told that "it's not the model of the camera, it's the eye of the photographer behind the camera that takes good shots." Thoughts?

You've definitely already proven with your current photos that the photographer is more important than the equipment. But sometimes equipment can be limiting so you may very well be better off with a more advanced camera.

hmmm something to take into consideration. I'm pretty limited with cash so I'm not sure whether to go with the DSLR or just a more advanced digital.

Are there digitals that'll take quick shots? Or do all of them have to "focus" before shooting? And range? I would definitely want to zoom in on things I can't get close enough to.

I copped a real hidding last time I was here ol` mate,They do Not like newbys here. Wally

The lag on a DSLR will depend more on the speed of the autofocus of the lens you're using. But typically, this isn't a problem.

Point and shoot's vary. If the lag is a major concern for you, I would have a look at www.imaging-resource.com - in almost all their reviews of tons of cameras, on the right where it says "test summary" it will say "shutter lag/autofocus" and the actual speed of it. In some of the older reviews, you may have to click on "picky details" or "specifications" instead.

If your main reason for wanting an upgrade is the shutter lag, it probably won't cost too much to upgrade. But if you're looking for a bit more than that, like having more manual controls, you might want to think about saving up.

What model/brand is your camera? If you can find it on imaging-resource, it can tell you the shutter lag you're dealing with now which will give you a base for judging other cameras while browsing on there.

It doesn't seem to list the shutter lag/autofocus timing for your model on imaging-resource unfortunately. But none the less I think if you go with a camera that has a shutter lag of less then .5 sec you'll be very happy. And again, if that's all you're looking for, it won't be too expensive. I suggest you look into Canon's range because just from browsing, they seem to, on average, have more point and shoots with faster shutter lag.

Most reactions

Back