Newbie in Aussie

if that's all you're looking for, it won't be too expensive. I suggest you look into Canon's range because just from browsing, they seem to, on average, have more point and shoots with faster shutter lag.
Yeah, I've been tossing up now between This or shopping for a higher end point and shoot. I'm fond of Sony's and Canon's, so either choice I'm sure will be good.

I have a Panasonic that is a high-end point and shoot and although its starting to show signs of the rough use I've given it (its been all over the US including Alaska, and down to Australia) I'm pleased with it as a step up camera, but it has some issues that Canon's in my experience don't. One of my friends from last semester (I was studying abroad) had a Canon at a similar grade to my Panasonic, for comparison. Less noise and less shutter lag in the Canon.

dSLRs are great, they're just expensive.

I'm very anxious to shoot some ocean sunrises but don't dare use my p&s because it takes really bad shots in low light no matter what setting I use. So I'm not sure what the differences will be between a higher end p&s or a DSLR.

I wish they had "try before you buy" deals. Let me use it for a week to test it out. ho hum!

I got some excellent sunsets (who wakes up for sunrise, honestly? lol I'm not a morning person) with my Panasonic - just make sure white balance is not on "Auto" or the camera will take all the color out (not an issue if shooting in RAW format on an SLR). Also - polarizing lenses are fun and can do awesome stuff to the sky! but be careful at the beach, sand is bad for lenses.

Here's my own personal pros/cons for dSLRs vs. GOOD p&s:
Point and Shoots are:
smaller in general
Have only one (Attached) lens (I'm the kind who is worried about losing lenses)
less expensive in general
have a dummy setting
BUT dSLRs
can shoot RAW (if you're not familiar with RAW, its nifty, but I'll let someone else explain as I've only used it once)
Can accept many different lenses (so you aren't limited to one zoom distance)
Have more choices (but often/always? no dummy setting)
Are more expensive in general (and become more so as you continue to add accessories)

For me, it came down to the money. I physically could not afford SLR the last time I upgraded my digi.

Most reactions

Back