Newbie in photography

bulletproof_cupid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello! I'm new here and new in photography at all. I bought my first own camera Canon powershot SX100 IS a month ago and in fact now I'm starting and I'm very interested. At first I decided to read something about photography so my first work was to go to the library and get a book about the basic things. I finished it and now I'm practising. But I'm really not pleased with my work. I'm having troubles with the lighting and my pictures are always very dark. So I try to light them up using Photoshop and then I got totally desperate because there is too much noise and in the end I have awful results. I took thousands of pictures and deleted them. Of course I don't feel sorry because I'm a newbie, I'm practising and I have to be patient but I got angry because I always repeat my mistakes with the lighting and my photos are always the same. I want to improve my knowlege so I decided to write this here. I will be very happy if you give me some advice or recommend me anything.

Here is maybe my best work for now.

Last edited:
first thing first... with what mode are you shooting? i common mistake beginners make (i did it and sometimes do, my brother does it, my girlfriend does it) is to shoot in manual mode(cause its "professional") even though they don't understand the concepts of shutter speed, aperture, iso and how these are connected to each other and what impact they have on the picture. try and read your manual and than spend some time in the priority modes noticing the settings. also read up on some composition tutorials.

p.s.: i like the second macro attempt and the last portrait is better

I like those photos. I want to get into wedding photography and have read the the lighting in portraits is the hardest thing to get down. It will take a lot of practice to get it where you want to go but I like those b&w portraits. On the last one I probably would have gone lower or have the girl look up to get those eyes but maybe that's just me. Those macros are good if you could have gotten a little tighter and put in some saturation. I am a beginner too so take my criticism for what it's worth.

Yes, I also take my photos in manual mode and I'm trying to understand it. Well, thank you very much for your advice. I'll search for more books and tutorials about this. I have much free time and I'll spend it in more practising and reading. Thank you again.

Most reactions

Back