Newbie looking for a good camera to buy

greta14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone, I'm a stay at home wife from Kentucky. I found this site very informative and friendly. I'm planning to buy my very first DSLR before the year ends and been reading about camera comparison betweeen Nikon and Canon. I would like to know from photographers of their experiences about the two brands. Is Nikon D60 highly recommended? What is its Canon counterpart? and which is better in terms of user-friendly features? Any reply will be appreciated. Thank so much.

Welcome.....I have no advice on what to buy, sorry....but welcome!!!

:O)

I personally find Nikons butten lay out confusing, but I assume this is because I am a Canon user and have only ever used the D70 and D80 which are must higher end than my cam. Go into a shop, play and ask away.

Welcome to TPF.

As for your camera question, your going to get alot of people saying go with Canon, and others saying go with Nikon. Sony and Pentax also have really good consumer DSLR's. Sony is the old Minolta so its not like they are untested.

If you do not already have a system already. You might want to consider all of the big brands. Several sites will allow you to pick 3-4 and compare them. Best thing to do is go and try a couple out. See how they feel in your hand.

If your looking at D60, maybe consider looking at Canon XSi, or XT (cheaper), Sony A300, Pentax K200D.

If you go to B&H photo & video. You can compare camera's. Look them up by price, or megapixel, or brand. Pretty handy when trying to choose. Can't really go wrong with any of the major brands. Obviously people feel that certain brands have advantages over another (useually the one they have :D ).

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. Consider the Canon XSi for starters, you'll love it.

Thank you all for the welcome and suggestions. I am currently browsing the B&H site to look up camera and theirs specs. My head is spinning with information lol. My budget for the cam is $750. I found a great deal on a circular flyer for Nikon D60, it includes 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED zoom lens, accessory bag and instructional dvd. This is only an option. The freebies makes me want to buy them but I dont want to make a conclusion that it's a good cam til I hear someone tell me it is. I still have a month to go before I will decide. Is Nikon D60 obsolete than Canon XSi? Sorry for this newbie question.

Canon has always led in the Megapixel count. Nikon has always said to have led the low noise count. The D60 is a newer model and is not anywhere near obsolete.

The one thing about the D60 is it cannot auto focus all Nikon AF lenses. It can only AF with AF-I and AF-S lenses. They have motors inthe lens themselves. Older Nikon designs required a motor in the body to focus the lens. The D40 and D60 do not have this body focusing motor. So it does have a limit when it comes to older lens designs. How ever you can just about use any Nikon lens on the camera, manual focus or autofocus. You just will not have use of all the auto functions normally available. Canon cameras can use all Canon auto focus lenses. But you cannot use older manual focus Canon lenses. This may or may not bother you. Most is does not.

It's really a coin toss.

Thank you for the detailed explanation, I'll keep it in mind.

Both Canon and Nikon make good cameras and lenses. Buy what feels right to you when you use it. The camera should feel right in your hand, and you should feel like the controls and menus are at least a bit intuitive to you. I found that one of the makes (I won't tell you which) was much more intuitive to me. I have friends for which the answer was exactly opposite. Go try them out, then enjoy.

Welcome.

I have owned Pentax, Canon and Nikon SLR cameras. I found they all take pictures, I just prefer Nikon now.

-------------

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back