Newbie looking for lens advice...

krisb23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all - looking for some advice on a new/used lens for my Nikon D80. I am a newbie, but would like something I can grow into. I bought the camera with an 18-135 mm which my 1.5 year old son has since snapped off, thus I'm in the market for some new options.

After some initial research I am considering fixing the existing lens as a backup/general use type of lens ($200 to repair), AND purchasing a new lens. I've been reading a bit on the difference between prime vs. zoom, but still not sure.

Here are my thoughts if anyone has some suggestions on a lens:

1. I have about $500 to spend right now (above the $200 to repair the old lens)
2. I would consider a used lens but would want to know what to be weary/watchful of
3. I mostly take pictures of people - my kids especially.
4. While I am nowhere close to being professional, I'd like to offer my services to friends with kids as well, thus probably need fast shutter speed (toddlers)
5. I also really love to travel and take photos of buildings, landscape - though I realize this may be a completely different set of lens requirements and might hold off on that type of purchase depending on feedback.

Thanks to anyone who's willing to spend time to help a newbie out! ;-)

~k

I'm new to photography aswell. But from what i've read i think you might like a 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.4 prime lens.

I got my Nikon MF 50mm 1.4 off ebay for 60euro(about $70?)

If you prefer new you can have a new 85mm 1.4 for about $200 if you don't mind manual focusing. Do a search for Rokinon 85mm 1.4, it also comes rebranded as Samyang, Bower, Vivitar, Falcon, ...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back