Newbie macro help

alex_kore

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi peeps!!
Just wondered if anyone could offer me any advice about macro lenses...
I've got a canon EOS 1100D with a
EFS 18-55mm & Tamron AF 70-300mm
The Tamron does have macro, but to get super close, you have to be a meter + away from the flower/object you want to get über close to... :-s
I'm wanting to take super close abstract photos... Like a water droplet on a flower or oil & water mixed, insects ect ..I'm sure you get the idea
Wouldn't want to spend more than £350, if this is even possible????

But the lower the price the better lol

It's not about the minimum focus distance ... more about the ratio.
You can get many different focal length macro's with the same ratio like 1:1 ... longer focal lengths allow you to be further away from the subject.
To get larger magnification for macro you can search for lenses that have a higher ratio like 2:1 or 3:1 ... or add extension tubes.

You could always get one of these: Canon MP-E 65

Ohh I see, I thought the closer you are the better ( I really have no idea - sorry)
I've heard about extension tubes, they are by far the cheaper option, Would I just attach these to my 18-55?
I can only assume that a macro lense would be better quality!?

Thanks for all your help guys :D

Yes, a macro lens would be specifically designed for close focus.

Tubes and a 50mm lens was the staple of those that did not want to spend the money on a macro.
Note that some tubes do not have electrical connections so you can lose functionality.

Yes, a macro lens would be specifically designed for close focus.

Tubes and a 50mm lens was the staple of those that did not want to spend the money on a macro.
Note that some tubes do not have electrical connections so you can lose functionality.

^^ What I plan on doing when it comes time to get to know the local insects :) The 50mm has great optics for such a cheap lens, so you can get some incredible photos out of this setup.

Hi guys, I've been doing a bit of research on the Raynox DCR-150, quite a lot of positive feedback on these :)
May give it a go for the price (around £50) complete budget option!! (yeh I'm a tight arse)
But with the money I'd save I could grab an external flash and a wired shutter.

Anyone heard of these Raynox DCR-250 / 150 lens? Or have one?

Hi guys, I've been doing a bit of research on the Raynox DCR-150, quite a lot of positive feedback on these :)
May give it a go for the price (around £50) complete budget option!! (yeh I'm a tight arse)
But with the money I'd save I could grab an external flash and a wired shutter.

Anyone heard of these Raynox DCR-250 / 150 lens? Or have one?

I have a 250... and it will allow nice images. Excellent magnification, and good sharpness. But I use it primarily with a macro lens.. so won't speak for other lenses.

The Raynox attachments are high quality optics, certainly worth considering, but first understand how they'll work.

They work by reducing the minimum focusing distance of the lens so that you get an increased magnification on the shot, however they also strip the infinity focus as well - depending on the attachments power and the focal length of the lens focusing might go down to only a few inches in front of the lens. This is the very same way that Extension tubes work.

However, close up lens attachments (like the Raynox DCR 150 and 250) give you more magnification when used on longer focal length lenses - whereas extension tubes work the other way around. Typically around 100mm is the (rough) dividing line; for more magnification gain if you want more with a shorter lens then extension tubes (set of kenko) are the best; for longer than 100mm consider the close up lens attachments (personally I would and did go with the DCR 250 instead of the 150).

This means you can boost the performance of what you currently have - however if you are keen (and it seems you are) then I'd personally say go for the macro lens first if you can - retaining infinity focus it makes shooting a lot easier, plus you get more distance between you and the subject to work with.
Tamron 90mm is a good recommendation for a budget, high quality and good working distance lens.

EDIT:
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/
You've got the:
Tokina 105mm macro
Tamron 90mm macro
Sigma 70mm macro
Sigma 105mm macro
Tamron 60mm macro
Canon EFS 60mm macro

All roughly in your current price range. Myself I would consider either the Sigma 105mm, Tamron 90mm or Sigma 70mm as good options and honestly if you are going to get one single macro lens I'd compare the 105mm and 90mm price and features to your needs and budget and go for one of those two.
All of those listed lenses are high quality and you'll be hard pressed to tell shots from them apart (when used by an experienced photographer).

Thanks guys!
Recon I'll just go balls deep with the macro lens then!

Thanks for the website overread! That's well handy!
Recon I'll take your advice and go with the sigma 105mm :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back