Newbie needs help with off camera flash

jay25m

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First off, I'm a newbie who's been taking pictures for about 6 months, mostly on the "Auto" setting to let the camera do all the work. I've wanted to try playing around with off-camera lighting in taking studio-type pictures of my kids, etc, since using on camera flash for this type of thing is pretty limiting. So, on the advice of a friend, I just purchased two off camera flashes, and a wireless flash trigger. I haven't received them yet, but now that I found this forum and started reading up on this topic, I'm wondering if this setup will work for me. This is what I have:

Nikon D3000
2 Flashpoint Lights from Adorama.... Adorama BFKU Budget Studio Monolight Flash Basic Kit BFKU
Cactus V4 Wireless Flash Trigger with 2 receivers....Cactus Wireless Flash Trigger Set V4 DICFLAWFTV4

Will this setup work with my camera? I've read some things about the D3000 not being able to trigger flash wirelessly through the hot shoe?????
Also, if this will work, will I be limited to shooting with only one or 2 camera settings?

Again, very new to all of this so any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

This set up will work just fine. Hot shoes are hot shoes (unless you're Sony/Minolta) and there's no reason that trigger shouldn't work. 2 x 120 w/s lights is an appropriate set-up for a home, family shots; you're not going to over-power the sun with it, but it should produce nice results with a little practice. You may want to spend some time over here reading. You will be shooting in full manual with this set-up, but DON'T panic. It's easy; manual flash is very easy, and once you figure it out, which won't take long, especially with resources like YouTube, you will love it.

This set up will work just fine. Hot shoes are hot shoes (unless you're Sony/Minolta) and there's no reason that trigger shouldn't work. 2 x 120 w/s lights is an appropriate set-up for a home, family shots; you're not going to over-power the sun with it, but it should produce nice results with a little practice. You may want to spend some time over here reading. You will be shooting in full manual with this set-up, but DON'T panic. It's easy; manual flash is very easy, and once you figure it out, which won't take long, especially with resources like YouTube, you will love it.

Great! Thank you very much for your reply and the information. I'll spend some time reading up on that link. Thanks again!

Most reactions

Back