Newbie needs lens help

cling

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I just stole a D80 with 18-135 from ebay. I also pulled a trigger instinctively on a 50 mm 1.8. Now, I wish to shoot a wide range of things:
insects, animals, homeless people, sunsets, and plants. Also, some family pics as well, but I think I mentioned their category already :lol:
I am thinking I need one more or 2 lenses. I think I need something with good macro and telephoto capabilities. I have a little money left over, as in 200 bucks. So not sure what lense should I get? Is there any good non-AF macro lens that was not designed for DSLR, but can work in MF mode on my D80? I know I probably will lose metering, but how severely will that impact my photos? I seen some wonderful photos with the Zuiko lens, can anyone suggest anything about them?
I have also been eyeing the Nikon 70-300 nonVr version. Is this a good/undervalued lens or is it the fatkid of lenses...always gets picked last?

Cheers!

Don't know much about the Nikon stuff, but I believe their VR version of the 55-200 is around $230 or so. Might be one worth looking into. Or you could use that $200 to go towards a better flash unit.

like Bullitt I don't know the nikon line - though I can say 2 things

1) if you lose metering make sure to get yourself a lightmeter and a good book on exposure and practice! (joy of digital is free developing :)) that might mean it takes you longer to get good results, but certianly won't stop you getting them, As for AF its not a worry at all as nearly all macro work is done with MF anyway

2) don't exclude other camera lens brands either - there is a lot of traditional kit going very cheaply as many pros and amatures switch to digital systems - a cheap different brand lens + converter for your camera might be a good move if you can get a quality lens

My .02

If you can afford the Nikon 70-300 VR then get it. If not....I wouldn't waste my time with the other Nikon 70-300's and here is why......

Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro. It is such a sleeper lens and at a little over $200 it is seriously a huge bang for your buck. Click the link in my signature. While I'm a mediocore photog at best, the lens quality shows. All of my animal section were shot with this lens in normal mode. All of the Macro and the new Insect photos were shot with this lens in Macro mode. It will really kill 2 birds with one stone if your on a tight budget like me.

The other thing is to pick up an SB-600 - Stofen Diffuser. You can use this setup in so many of the areas you want. Used with the 50mm you can get great crisp shots indoors without being limited to f1.8. Off camera you can use this diffused to help freeze motion with macro shots which will let you open the aperature up for a nicer depth of field.

mmmm, intreresting!
2 of people who replied have sigma 70-300 listed in their comments.

Personally I consider the sigma 70-300mm a very good all rounder lens, a good try at zoom and macro work and if you get good you can get some very nice results. I would say its a lens that benefits greatly from a tripod with getting sharp results - especially if you are aiming for the sharpest fullsized results you can get - handheld I have found it to be more hit and miss.
As for its forte - take a look in my blog - I have found it to work absolute wonders with flower photography. Its a good lens for learning on and developing skills and it can help you decide where to take your photography and your kit.

but get the APO version if you can!

So this 70-300 sigma is a nice performer for bugs and flowers?
It can be had for about 100 bucks used. Is there anything that is similar, comes close?

quickie one, what does the APO differs from the standard 70-300 that Sigma had?

flowers it works well - bugs are a little harder toget, but you can get them!
The thing that is tricky is that it has a minimum focusing distance of 0.5m which means you have to be that far away from the plant/insect - catches you out when you are shooting macro and have to be a long way away from the subject

I have one of the wicked cheap-o Nikon 70-300s. It has some issues, but the range is a very handy one to have kicking around.

So this 70-300 sigma is a nice performer for bugs and flowers?
It can be had for about 100 bucks used. Is there anything that is similar, comes close?

Not the APO version (or at least I've never seen one that cheap). It's worth the small amount of extra money for the APO version.

quickie one, what does the APO differs from the standard 70-300 that Sigma had?

The apo has extra coatings or something on it. It's quite a bit sharper than the non-apo one and worth the difference (in my opinion).

flowers it works well - bugs are a little harder toget, but you can get them!
The thing that is tricky is that it has a minimum focusing distance of 0.5m which means you have to be that far away from the plant/insect - catches you out when you are shooting macro and have to be a long way away from the subject

I disagree and am the exact opposite. I find it harder with flower shots since I have to back up more. With insects I find it to be awesome (only done a few though). You can stay far enough away from the insects that they won't get spooked. THis means they stay in one area longer so you can get a better shot. Just my experiences/preferences though.

Hey!
I just pulled the trigger on Sigma APO 180mm F5.6.
Price: $100.
:lol:

Probably wrong time to ask, but anyone have any experience with this little baby?

Oh brother, the plot thickens:
I also bought a set of Marumi closeup filter (lenses?): +1,+2 and +4. I think coupling these up with the 180mm sigma and even 50mm should produce some interesting pictures. I found that this 180mm f5.6 at several other places going for 200-300, so it can't be all that bad.
On the not so bright side, people said that the 180mm can be slow to AF, and that the viewfinder can be a little dark. I really do not care much about AF speed, as I will be using it largely for macro, so probably 90% MF. I hope this 180mm with +3 closeup should give me good working distance and that the D80s bright viewfinder will offset the negativities of this lens. I know I coulda went for Nikon 105mm macro, but this is just more fun...you know, hacking together something rare, unique and economic that might, just might, work!

So my first SLR outfit is finalized until further lottery winnings as following:

Nikon D80
18-135 Nikon lens
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Sigma 180mm f5.6 APO
Close-up filter set from Marumi (I read some reviews relating it to the legendary Nikon 6T, mostly positively) 1-7, along with step-up-rings

Can't wait to get shooting!

I believe the first update after this, (x-mas probably) will be some sort of external flash. Which? No clue, and I am not going to worry about it too much now.

Most reactions

Back