Newbie Night time shot C&C

mcleish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there. Newly signed up but I've been reading the forum for a while, and I'm thankful for the tips you have given.
I understand shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc but i guess executing it is totally different.
So i goes the best way to learn is to post up and let you guys 'rip it to shreds' ha!
So i thought id jump into the deep end and upload a night shot... Which i know isn't interesting at all but I'm just trying to practice with exposure levels etc.
So let me know what you think really. Thanks for looking.

DSC_0678 by mcleishlad, on Flickr

Shot with A D5100, AF-S DX VR 55-300mm.
ISO 100, 55mm, f/11, 25secs.

I can't tell you about all the technical aspects of it but from a coolness standpoint, I think it rocks. Like it alot.

it's okay. try getting something more interesting in the shot. don't know what to look at, and seems like it isn't composed well.

i'm glad you're willing to learn though. that takes courage, even if people rip your stuff apart. but it is the only way you'll learn. you did manage to do well by selecting an 100 ISO, to keep it very smooth and the lights don't become overpowering. i would say your settings are very good, but like i mentioned, it's the composition that bugs me.

I like it. But that's just me. The water looks soft, that caught my eye, I'd say that's a plus. I honestly kind of like the setting. You could crop it to make it look like a panoramic.

looks a bit soft and kinda dark.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm just looking to get exposures right at first. It was hard setting up for the photo as I was on a busy bridge with a lot of tourists wondering around. It was a 'quick' set up and fire.
Photography seems like a massive journey and I'm really looking forward to it.

Don't be afraid to take your time. Also set the shot up before you even set up your equipment.

Exposure is good, composition not so much and it seems soft to me. So if getting the exposure right was your only goal then you nailed it. As above said, dont be afraid to take your time and dont worry about other people around. Just do your thing as if you are the only one there.

How would I do it so the photo didn't turn out soft? I'm assuming this is the opposite to sharp?

The softness is the result of the slow shutter speed, and if you're shooting from a bridge, it might be unavoidable, since most bridges vibrate from cars (or even people) passing over them. The water is soft because it's flowing, and there's not much you could do about that even if you were shooting on solid ground. One thing I really like about your shot is how you can see the light from the city reflecting on the clouds.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back